Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 09:23 PM

Default Noob has basic Qs... tyia.

Hi. I'm at 2+2 a lot, but almost never post in this forum. I recently stopped treating poker as a side job and am trying to have fun playing again. one part of this is learning tournament play, so I'll be trying to post here regurarly starting.... now. I'm a winning cash game player (mostly LHE and stud), and have done well in the rare tourneys i've played, but it's time to learn about tournament play in detail... i will try to be in a tourney whenever i am playing... we'll see: maybe i'll motivate enough to post updates on my progress (unlikely).

Basic Qs:

-Bankroll is about 2k, what buy-in level should i be playing? I've never payed more than $50 for an entry, and $20-$30- feels about right.... okay?

-multitable tourneys or not? who does? how many? any reason not to play cash games and tourneys at the same time?

-Learning/improving is more important than profiting for now- will i learn more/faster focusing on one game (NLHE) or should i diversify, playing LHE, Stud, omaha, etc events?

-any basic links to stuff i should know before i dive in would be highly appreciated: sites, faqs, threads, etc...

-I won a sattilite to the stars $500K last week, busted on like the 15th hand when i called a huge all-in from a big stacked ($6k chips already) UTG LAG's push- I was utg+1 with $1630 chips and held AKo. He had gone all-in 4 times in the first dozen or so hands, so i thought there was a very good chance i would dominate him, but it was for all my chips with AKo with 8 left to act... thoughts? make that call?

so: Hello, MTT board. I'm Bholdr. hopefully i'll have something to contribute soon... [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2005, 09:59 PM

Default Re: Noob has basic Qs... tyia.

Basic Qs:

-Bankroll is about 2k, what buy-in level should i be playing? I've never payed more than $50 for an entry, and $20-$30- feels about right.... okay?

50 buy-ins is about the comfort level. Meaning you can be playing $40 tournaments safely, 20-30 is perfect if you're still getting the hang of it.

-multitable tourneys or not? who does? how many? any reason not to play cash games and tourneys at the same time?

Talk to exitonly4 about this one. He does about 8 tourneys at once I believe.

-Learning/improving is more important than profiting for now- will i learn more/faster focusing on one game (NLHE) or should i diversify, playing LHE, Stud, omaha, etc events?

Play Hold 'Em until you know you're good enough to be a winning player. Once you're sitting pretty, play the other events for competitive fun. Your hold 'em game is by far the most important thing.

-any basic links to stuff i should know before i dive in would be highly appreciated: sites, faqs, threads, etc...

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...14&fpart=1

-I won a sattilite to the stars $500K last week, busted on like the 15th hand when i called a huge all-in from a big stacked ($6k chips already) UTG LAG's push- I was utg+1 with $1630 chips and held AKo. He had gone all-in 4 times in the first dozen or so hands, so i thought there was a very good chance i would dominate him, but it was for all my chips with AKo with 8 left to act... thoughts? make that call?

Was he pushing with pairs? Or moderate hole cards like KJo, etc? If you didn't see him doing it with pairs, then this is an incredibly easy call. Otherwise fold and wait for a better spot. Even a fairly new tournament player who knows enough to be on 2+2 has an edge against these people enough not to get all their money in early on a coinflip.

Enjoy.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:13 PM

Default Re: Noob has basic Qs... tyia.

20-30 sounds about right, especially since you're just starting, once you're starting to profit more, you can take 'stabs' at higher buyins..

at those buyins i multitable as many as i can register for on stars.. the play in the begining is pretty straightforward, and if you get deep in one or two, you'll be able to focus on those, because the other ones are ABC.

the anthology sticky is fantastic, and all are great reads.

and for that call..you've seen a guy push 33% of his hands, you're good vs that range, i call.