Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 02:27 PM

Default The checkraise that never happened

Below, I have posted my thinking along with the action. I am interested in other peoples' comments on it.

Online 40/80 Hold'em (5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Preflop -- I figure I will checkraise him at some point after the flop. Hence my flat call of the 3-bet.
Flop: (7.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Flop -- I have a very strong hand unless a heart comes. I figure a checkraise at this point will not fold him out if he has a heart in his hand. So I decide to checkraise him on the turn unless it is a heart.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn -- it was a heart. My hand is now only moderately strong so I check call again. I will checkraise the river if the board pairs.

River: (6.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River -- The board didn't pair, and any heart beats me. So I figure my hand is just worth a check-call again.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB
Old 10-10-2005, 02:47 PM

Default Re: The checkraise that never happened

You should probably just cap pf unless this is the type of player that is very aggressive and is a good hand reader.

Definitely check-raise the flop. Waiting until the turn is a poor idea as many hands will check-through a non-heart turn (i.e. pocket pairs with a heart). Since you have AA, it's very unlikely your opponent has Ax so that's a pretty scary board for a pf 3-bettor especially when you call the flop.

You are most likely beat so not check raising the river is good. After he bets the river, my only hope would be for a lower set.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:55 PM

If you have a narrow capping range, and villain knows this, you can certainly earn more than one small bet often enough post-flop to make just calling the 3-bet correct.

If you have a wide capping range, then keep pumping it up.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:49 PM

Is a river check/fold to tight here? I dont think he is betting river without a heart and pot is not that big.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is a river check/fold to tight here? I dont think he is betting river without a heart and pot is not that big.

[/ QUOTE ]

Waaaay too tight. In fact, against typical opponents, you'd probably come out better in the long run with a check/raise line than a check/fold line (though calling is certainly optimal).
Old 10-10-2005, 03:52 PM

I call for sanity reasons, and if necessary, information, but I certainly don't expect to win.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

calling is certainly optimal).

[/ QUOTE ]so optimal that i think its about a .5BB loser... maybe worse.
checkraise? plz.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:12 PM

i think you really shouldve gone ahead and checkraised the flop... waiting for the turn is costing you $$... let him threebet/raise turn.