Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2005, 02:13 AM

Default At what point do you HAVE to make a stand if you\'re being blinded out?

Assuming you're gunning for first and have no reason to try to survive for a few more rounds.

If someone raises your BB to put you all-in and you're sure you are behind, but with live cards, how short does your stack need to be for you to be forced to call mathematically?

I made this type of call a few nights ago, 3 handed at the end of a tournament with 3 BBs left including my blind. My Q3 was live against his A2 just like I'd figured, but I couldn't connect. I'm wondering if I did the right thing, if I should have waited longer, or if I should have made a stand sooner.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:18 AM

Default Re: At what point do you HAVE to make a stand if you\'re being blinded

if you're playing for first, then you just need to think of what range you think he's pushing with. use pokerstove or something, and see how good your hand is vs. that range. then see what odds you're getting from the pot on your call. if its a profitable call, then you should always make it if there's no incentive for you to stay alive. maybe a very, very small one if you're a whole lot better than the other players, but usually the blinds are big enough in relation to your stack that this will almost never happen.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:24 AM

I am a bit confused here.

If you're heads up against someone else and you're sure you are behind, isn't putting in all your chips NEVER a profitable call?

Still, there has to be a threshold where making a -ev call is better than giving up yet another big blind. At what point is this the case? That's my question.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:27 AM

No, if your stack is small enough that the blinds/antes will give you the rights odds to call while behind.

You shouldn't be knowingly taking the worst of it (including pot odds) .. ever.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You shouldn't be knowingly taking the worst of it (including pot odds) .. ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, this isn't alwyas true, right?

like when you start getting real low chips you need to sometimes take -EV plays, b/c they might be the least neg. plays that you'll have to choose from. like when you make a -EV push from EP b/c it'll be less -EV than when you have to post the BB.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:36 AM

Default Re: At what point do you HAVE to make a stand if you\'re being blinded out?

this depends on how many blinds you have if you fold. If you have three big blind then i would suggest folding and going all in with any hand on button or small blind if its folded to you. if you cant afford to do anything else then you gotta get it in there and hope. Its not quite a coin flip with your live cards but its close enough. Also, how did you get to the blind with that short a stack? why not push UTG?
Old 10-23-2005, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a bit confused here.

If you're heads up against someone else and you're sure you are behind, isn't putting in all your chips NEVER a profitable call?

Still, there has to be a threshold where making a -ev call is better than giving up yet another big blind. At what point is this the case? That's my question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know what pot odds are? If not, learn.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you know what pot odds are? If not, learn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... had a serious brain fart there for a second. Too much to drink tonight. I get it now.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, how did you get to the blind with that short a stack? why not push UTG?

[/ QUOTE ]

Silly mentality that a good hand might come soon if I wait. I never know what point it is in a tourney when I need to start pushing with trash UTG. Hence this topic.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Silly mentality that a good hand might come soon if I wait. I never know what point it is in a tourney when I need to start pushing with trash UTG. Hence this topic.

[/ QUOTE ]

read Harrington on Holdem vol 2 if you haven' already.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

read Harrington on Holdem vol 2 if you haven' already.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't yet. I'll order both volumes tomorrow, thanks.