Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2005, 02:36 PM

Default Set on drawing board- What to do

"Lets say you are holding pp and on flop you hit your set but there are 2 suited cards on the flop. There are 4 players with you and everybody limped in."

I saw this post on flop turn river. Just wondering what others think about this situation, i find it can be a tough one depending on the preflop action.

Possibilities: (all for early position)
1) Bet modestly (halfpot or less) hoping for a reraise.
2) Bet the pot
3) Overbet, hoping to go heads up with a TP type hand
4) Check raise
What if hero is in late position, how does this affect his play?

Im wondering what people think of these options, each has their upsides and downsides and i spose its all player dependent. But do people have a general strategy for this situation? Or are there other options im overlooking? I think this is an interesting situation that comes up occasionally, and one that I probably have misplayed badly.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Set on drawing board- What to do

There's no broad answer for this situation. It depends heavily on preflop action, your position, and the nature of the board (especially, whether anyone is likely to have TPTK).

But betting is usually the way to go.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's no broad answer for this situation. It depends heavily on preflop action, your position, and the nature of the board (especially, whether anyone is likely to have TPTK).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct response. If there is a K or A on the flop and you're pretty sure someone is going to be taking a stab at it, CR. CR is dangerous though because a third card to the flush will kill your action, because people could put you on it.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct response. If there is a K or A on the flop and you're pretty sure someone is going to be taking a stab at it, CR. CR is dangerous though because a third card to the flush will kill your action, because people could put you on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate CRing here. First, the opportunity doesn't always come, and you end up giving a free card. Second, when you bet out a significant amount (say, up to 1.5x the pot), people have difficulty putting you on a hand, since the natural tendancy of the average player is to slowplay a big hand, and they will often misread your aggression as a buy attempt with a weak or drawing hand.
Further, anyone with a big draw is going to overpay you on the flop, so charge them as much as you can.
The way I see it, most of the money in SSNL is made 2 ways - getting as much money in as possible when your opponent has a big hand and you have a bigger one, and getting out as cheaply as possible when you have a big hand but your opponent is bigger.
Don't worry so much about a large bet driving out weak holdings like 2nd pair best kicker, focus instead on stacking the guy who can't let go of TPTK.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:51 PM

I will usually bet the pot from early position. I like this better than check-raising because I feel that check-raising gives away the strength of your hand. Often when you bet your opponent will put you on a semi-steal and they will not lay down their top pair weak kicker, you also get paid off by a flush draw who might have just checked if he got the chance.

My decision might change depending on my opponents and the texture of the flop though, for example if I though that anyone with a flush draw or king would bet on a K72 flop and I thought there was a decent chance a late position player would try a bluff if checked to I would probably check-raise or just check-call on the flop, how to play the turn would depend on the card, how many players are left in the pot and what my read on the players are. For example would the flop bettor continue a semi-bluff heads up or would he take the freecard if checked to?