Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2005, 12:37 AM

Default One overcard after your PFR

Is this flop bet pretty much standard? I post this because I have been frequently catching my lower pair and losing a lot of bets on hands like these, and I am starting to question their value. SB was a tight, solid player and BB was loose/passive if that matters.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: (4 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (6 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 6 BB
Old 04-26-2005, 12:40 AM

Default Re: One overcard after your PFR

This hand is fine. You tried to steal and were checked to on the flop - of course you are going to follow through. Then you pair up on the turn and only a K beats you. I think I would even bet the river here, but it's hard to put "tight/solid" SB on a hand...
Old 04-26-2005, 12:49 AM

Up to the turn is fine. You usually can pick these pots up UI on the flop, so the flop bet is standard. Betting the river is close against a tight player. I'd have to know with what range of hands does villian check-call the river.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:52 AM

I think you have to fire a bet at the "Tight" player on the river. You showed strength preflop and on every street thus far, you may as well show it one last time. A raise means your beat but checking it through means you either lose a bet or lose a chance to win the pot.

I don't think a player that is tight solid would call on the flop with a backdoor flush possibility unless he also had some high cards. So the heart shouldn't scare you.

I think the more important read would be how the players at the table read you. If you have been known as aggressive up to that point he could be calling down with a K in the hole.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:52 AM

I don't think I had a profitable valuebet on the river against this guy. He was pretty tight postflop, and I put him on a strong hand to call my preflop raise. I wasn't even sure about betting the turn but I figured it would buy me a free showdown if I needed it.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:58 AM

You showed strength preflop and on every street thus far, you may as well show it one last time.

This is a reason to check, not to bet. I have shown nothing but strength and he is not backing down. If he had a diamond draw and missed, he is not calling a bet.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:58 AM

I don't think villian is folding a better hand on the river if he's gotten this far. If I was villian I would call down a weak K here. He knows that you would play QQ-JJ, and AQ this way.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:00 AM

I like the turn and river.
Not sure if this is right, but the flop bet is.... good.. because:
1. You could have the best hand.
3. They could all fold.
2. You could get a free turn card.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:23 AM

The river completes a couple of draws (though not too likely, you never know). If he was on a diamond draw, he's folding if you bet. If he's calling down with a weak king he's not likely to fold the river. I like the river check.