Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2005, 05:31 PM

Default should i be moving up levels?

i've been playing PS .05/.10 and .10/.25 for 2 months (15k cash game hands + 500 $5 and $10 SNGs over the last year.) i'm solid but not great. i'm pretty weak/tight (18% VPIP, 5% PFR, 1.33 PFA) b/c the tables allow it. I have no problem being more aggressive although i love the lack of variance with this style.

bankroll is not a real concern up to about $1/$2. should i be playing higher? i've been withdrawing from my BR so havent built up enough to move up naturally but i can certainly deposit and move up if it will be financially worthwhile.

my real question is, are the games soft enough for a mechanical ABC style multi-tabler at .25/.5 and .5/$1 to make it worthwhile? anyone recommend mastering each level before moving up or are the games more or less the same?

any advice from the old hands would be appreciated. flame on.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:35 PM

Default Re: should i be moving up levels?

You posted in the wrong forum so this may explain the lack of response (this is a no-limit forum). My opinion however is that you need to master playing tight and agressive before tackling higher limits. You also need a bankroll which can survive some swings as this style of play - while MOST PROFITABLE - requires a willingness to be down. Don't try to be a winner. Try killing it. Also - don't start multitabling until you can make good agressive decisions in a blink - otherwise you are magnifying small mistakes.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:51 PM

I have been playing mostly $25NL at Pokerstars. I've had a few nights at $50 to check it out.

I think there's a noticeable difference. People know when to fold more so you're not going to make as many pots with people calling down with crap like bottom pair.

There also seems to be a lot more semi-bluffing. People pushing hard with favorable draws. It throws you off at first since one level down, people are much more passive with draws.

Though my experience there is more limited, I didn't come across any obvious maniacs.

Finally, as a general rule, there seems to be a little more respect for raises.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:51 PM

to set the record str8:
this is a NL post. i 3-table just fine. dont have enough resolution/big enough monitor for 4.

i can play more aggressive but it doesnt seem to be worth it. im over 20BB/100 at .5/.1 (40bb) through about 10k. not enough data to make a reliable winrate assumption at .10/.25 but i'm winning easily.

bankroll is not an issue. i think 1kbb is fine for me emotionally and statistically.

any other thoughts? thanks
Old 03-03-2005, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my real question is, are the games soft enough for a mechanical ABC style multi-tabler at .25/.5 and .5/$1 to make it worthwhile? anyone recommend mastering each level before moving up or are the games more or less the same?

any advice from the old hands would be appreciated. flame on

[/ QUOTE ]

move on up son, you are ready

just to be comfortable with the money move up gradually.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:04 PM

I only 1-2 table on PS. I don't have PT. I move up when I have 5xBuy-in for NLx + 1xBuy-in for the next level. I don't feel that there is much to learn about any next level or about your game in the next level by sticking in your initial level. The reason I save 5xBuy-in for the level below is that if I lose my buy-in at the level above, I can still go back to the level below with the amount of cash I need to play. The only thing you might want to do is datamine a bit if you plan on 3-5 tables.

Most posters think this is bad advice, but I really don't see the necesity of having 20xbuyin for a game if you have the confidence that you can beat it. I understand varience, but IMO, if you can't handle the game with only 5xBuy-in, you shouldn't be playing that level.

PS: What's your handle on PS, I wonder if I've ever played with you.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:21 PM

i'm NicePants. i've only knowingly played with Kurto and crosse91 (who doenst post much) if your name is the same on PS as 2+2, ida recognized you.

appreciate the posts. i cant tell if i'm not moving up cause i'm a puss or cause i'm being safe.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:01 PM

The first time I moved up to $50... I lost $150 in 1 hour and then made it all back in another. It was exciting, scary and fun.

I think I had terrible table selection the first time... there were 2-3 good players at each table (which I should have recognized since they had twice the stack of anyone else on multiple tables) I did find a really weak table another time.

I think you should move up slowly. Plays some $50 NL. Just pay attention... there will still be weak players. Just not as many in proportion.

But you should move up. If only because it played a little differently then the $25 table.

(with that said... I still play $25 a lot because I have notes no more players at that level.)
Old 03-03-2005, 07:08 PM

I am in the same boat that you are. I play mainly on UB and do very very well at the .25/.50 tables. I have been playing these for about a month now. It has become really really easy most of the time. Last week however I had a very bad week, my first non-profit week of 2005 (I was only down $20 for the week but thats not good). Anyways, I think what happened was that I was losing respect for the game and playing below my level. I was trying to bully around a lot of fools, but that turned around and bit me too many times. Tilt set in and that J9 suited UTG started to look very very good because hey... I can outplay them on the flop.

Anyways, yesterday I sat down and started the Party bonus. I four tabled the 25NL for about 5 hours yesterday (still could only get halfway through the required hands). I was my old self and played good smart poker. I finished the session up $250, its not fantastic but it's still pretty good. Then all the real confidence came back and not all the phony puffery that I had established.

My point is that I am ready to move up as well. Going to try the .50/1 on UB once I get the bonus cleared over on Party (will finish this weekend). I would like to be winning at 1/2 NL by May.

If I lose at first I want to try to see it through and figure out the game. If I get KILLED early I'll move right back down .25/.50 and learn a bit more.

Sorry for rambling, needed to express some things in order to motivate myself to do it. If you would like to move up in levels together and set up a challenge or something, let me know. It might help to have a buddy system. If not, no big deal.

Either way move up! Good luck.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:58 AM

You are playing Party just for Bonus reasons?
Is UB really a better place to be?
Just curious, I never played at UB, but it's hard to imagine anything better than Party morons.