Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2005, 01:09 PM

Default decided to learn stud/8, where?

So I've decided I want to learn how to play stud/8 well. I've always enjoyed playing high/low split games (a lot...), but I haven't really put in nearly the time with them as I have for hold'em. So anyway, I'm gonna order ray zee's book, but where are the best places to play online? the .50/1 ante structure at party sucks. so what places have a good structure, and also, what places have the most fish? I play 2/4 hold'em, so I'd say I'm probably willing to start at any limit up to 2/4 as long as there are enough fish.

Also, I feel like there's no way this hasn't been posted before, but search blows. Sorry.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:37 PM

Default Re: decided to learn stud/8, where?

I like Stars for stud 8. They have some microlimit games that are are all very beatable. You start to find people who know what they are doing around the $0.50/$1.00 games and even a few in the $0.25/$0.50 games, but not enough to not make the game profitable for a good player. Another way to get excellent experience in a game is by playing the $1 tournaments on Stars. For just a dollar, you can play a lot of hands and get some experience without fear of blowing a lot of money while you learn. For about the first hour and a half, the tournament plays like a cash game, so its not really that far off from just playing in a ring game.

Obviously it all depends on how much money you want to play for, but if youre looking to learn the ropes without investing much money, Id say play the low limit tournaments and play 0.25/0.50 or 0.50/1.00.

Aicirt
Old 02-10-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like Stars for stud 8. They have some microlimit games that are are all very beatable. You start to find people who know what they are doing around the $0.50/$1.00 games and even a few in the $0.25/$0.50 games, but not enough to not make the game profitable for a good player. Another way to get excellent experience in a game is by playing the $1 tournaments on Stars. For just a dollar, you can play a lot of hands and get some experience without fear of blowing a lot of money while you learn. For about the first hour and a half, the tournament plays like a cash game, so its not really that far off from just playing in a ring game.

Obviously it all depends on how much money you want to play for, but if youre looking to learn the ropes without investing much money, Id say play the low limit tournaments and play 0.25/0.50 or 0.50/1.00.

Aicirt

[/ QUOTE ]

similar idea to the $1 MTTs but i learned a lot from playing the $5 SNGs on stars. The SNG's on party blow because you only start with 800 chips which is a big disadvantage to a tight player I think.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:31 PM

i think stars and paradise are the only sites that have stud8 with reasonable structures. both sites also offer plenty of fish to go around.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:26 PM

i would say in general the games on party are better than the games on pstars at the same limits... for example, i think the 3/6 on party is easier than the 2/4 on pstars

there is also a big difference between .50/1.00 and 1/2 on pstars i've noticed... all you have to do is take a look at the 4th st % and the size of the pots... if you are aggressive you should do better in the tighter game, and vice versa... then again if you are just starting out, you shouldn't play super aggressive because you will likely be smoked

mike
Old 02-11-2005, 04:05 PM

What is your problem with Party?

Have you checked out UB?
Old 02-11-2005, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is your problem with Party?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
the .50/1 ante structure at party sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-12-2005, 12:24 AM

Ok, what is the ante, and since it is party, the rake probably sucks too. UB has a 10c ante on the .25/.5 game but only .25 on the 1/2 game, but not much traffic.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:35 AM

ok Ante STRUCTURE sounds so complex, he is talking about the ante:blinds, which is insane 1:2 WTF? As much as I hate to say it, Pokerstars in the best, like like a 5c ante on the .50/1 games.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So I've decided I want to learn how to play stud/8 well. I've always enjoyed playing high/low split games (a lot...), but I haven't really put in nearly the time with them as I have for hold'em. So anyway, I'm gonna order ray zee's book, but where are the best places to play online? the .50/1 ante structure at party sucks.

Okay, shameless self-promotion, but I wrote my second book for someone just like you [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]). I'm a low stakes player - Zee's book is good, but it's two books in one and doesn't have the kind of detail on stud 8 I was hoping for. You can get my book at booklocker.com or by e-mailing me, and it's also cheaper than Mr. Zees [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I think hands down the best place for stud 8 is PokerStars. I started at PlanetPoker, but then the games seemed to die off. So, now I'm at PokerStars - say hi, I'm Parrothead77.

Don't get me wrong, the Zee book is very good - I'm glad I own it. But it seems it's really geared for the high stakes games; my book is an intro-book to the game geared for the low-roller. Plus there's some nice odds info in it too.

Good luck!
Paul