Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 11:36 AM

Default Folding a big pot, unhappy with my play

I'm playing in an ok live 30/60 game, 7 handed at the moment. The game is revolving around button, who I'm guessing is ~40/20. He steals very liberally preflop, but plays fit or fold postflop. I'm in the BB, and the best player at the table is in the SB. The SB has been liberally 3betting the button steal attempts. So far I have folded to every 3bet. Note that where I'm playing, it's a 5bet cap.

Folded to the button, who raises. SB 3bets, I fourbet with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], button calls 2 cold, SB calls.
Flop comes down 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB checks, I bet, button calls, SB checkraises, I 3bet, button calls 2 cold, SB 4bets, I call, button calls.

Turn is A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
SB bets, I raise, button calls two more cold, SB 3bets, I call, button calls.

River is J of [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
SB bets. I look left and button is reaching for his chips. I fold. How'd I do?
Old 11-30-2005, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Folding a big pot, unhappy with my play

"How'd I do?"

"Folded to the button, who raises. SB 3bets, I fourbet with A T ,"

Good.

"button calls 2 cold, SB calls.
Flop comes down 7 T Q
SB checks, I bet,"

Good.

"button calls, SB checkraises, I 3bet,"

Good.

"button calls 2 cold, SB 4bets, I call,"

Good.

"button calls. Turn is A
SB bets, I raise,"

Bad.

Look what you've done. You made it four bets preflop in a five-bet game against a solid SB who knows you know he is solid. Then you reraised his checkraise on the flop. And still he makes it fourbets (in a five-bet game). If it was me, the hand ends right there. I'd fold on the turn if I didn't improve, and if I did, whether by catching an ace or a ten, I'd go into call down mode. Blasting the button out on the turn would not be a factor to me for two reasons. One, he has proved his stubbornness. Two, it's not about him. It's about the other guy, the guy with QQ or TT or AQ or AA or KK or AK or AT or whatever he had. Some of those hands I can beat with AT, some of them I can't. I'd be way more interested in losing exactly two bets turn-and-river combined when I'm beat, instead of losing three or four, than I would be in winning three bets when he happens to be semisteaming with AK or KK.

"River is J of
SB bets. I look left ..."

Excellent!

"I fold."

Smooth recovery.

Old 11-30-2005, 01:55 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

Wow Tommy-

Do you negotiate on that instruction fee?
Old 11-30-2005, 04:09 PM

Im going to talk about your decision on the flop. Once you bet this flop, and the button calls, and then the solid player checkraises for value, I dont think you should 3 bet him and heres why. When the solid player checkraises this flop for value after you capped preflop he is basically tell you that he either has a strong hand or a strong draw.

Here is the solid players range IMO: AQ,QQ,TT,77,AdKd,AdJd,and KdJd. Notice that against this range you are a 16-3 underdog, and whats worst, the times you are ahead you can be easily overtaken, and the times youre behind you are drawing close to dead. This is definitely not a situation where you would want to 3 bet the flop, your hand is simply not strong enough to be worth protecting with a 3 bet. Your best choices on the flop is between folding and calling IMO. If the pot were smaller, folding would be the best play. Given that there is now 16sbs in the pot, I think calling is ok, with the intention of folding the turn if you dont improve.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:37 PM

I think you played this a little too agg PF. Also too agg on the flop, and once you play the flop like you did I think that you're correct to play the turn as you did with aces up, and the river is a fold.

Tex
Old 11-30-2005, 05:06 PM

I like your play till the turn. Lets look at SB's potential holdings here. He didn't cap PF, so that probably rules out QQ. Other hands he would 4 bet the flop with are AQ, TT (unlikely), 77, or K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Even after you spike your ace you are currently losing to all of those hands. If I'm getting to the river, its for one bet on each street unless I fill up, and even then i'd be leary...

lf
Old 12-01-2005, 02:26 AM

you did fine, just fine.