Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 09:34 PM

Default AKs disaster

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Hero (t3720)
MP2 (t1365)
MP3 (t5936)
CO (t2410)
Button (t1675)
SB (t2335)
BB (t6608)
UTG (t4740)
UTG+1 (t2700)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t100, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t500</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls t400.

Flop: (t1150) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t900</font>, UTG+1 calls t900.

Turn: (t2950) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets t1300 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls t1300.

River: (t5550) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t5550

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG+1 has Js Qh (two pair, queens and eights).
Hero has Kd Ad (one pair, eights).
Outcome: UTG+1 wins t5550. </font>
Old 11-17-2005, 09:36 PM

Default Re: AKs disaster

why call the all-in on the turn?
Old 11-17-2005, 09:37 PM

What's he betting there that you have beat?
Is he calling the flop w/ a ruunner runner flush draw?
You don't have the odds to draw to 6 outs, which you might not even have.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:39 PM

Hmmm, I'm not particularly happy with any street, though preflop is okay. I'd probably raise to 400 instead. On the flop, I'd bet somewhat less, probably 600. And unless my opponent had been playing rather maniacally or I had been making a lot of postflop folds, I'm not calling the turn. I think it's a borderline chip EV call even if you assume that the board counterfeiting means you win, and since many times you will lose or split in those circumstances, I think it's not such a good move.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:16 PM

Preflop: standard. AKs can handle action 300-650 raise is good.

Flop: You bet way waaaaay to big. 900 into a 1125 pot with no hand and no real draw. I would bet the same as if I had AQ or KK....350-475. No more than 1/2 then pot.

You could check behind here. I dont like to check behind and would bet nearly every hand that I raise preflop with. Often this bet will take the pot away from one opponent. So definately bet something.

You can certainly get away from the hand much cheaper than this. When you flop and miss sometimes it is best to pick a line that involves risking very few chips and either getting rid of the hand or getting to showdown as cheap as possible. I bet 375.

Turn: bad call. getting 4:1 with either O or 6 outs......make a smaller flop bet and you avoid this completely.

It looks like you got into trouble here trying to bet someone out of the pot with nothing but overcards. This can happen in many situations (raise with KJ...bet 843) and in most it is wasting chips. I am struggling with these situations myself.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:28 PM

people have been complaining about your flop bet, but i think i'm startting to like those sized bets... lets them make big mistakes.

the important part is that all your bets are the same (or that they dont follow some easy pattern like bet more when you bluff bet small when you ahve a hand)
Old 11-17-2005, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's he betting there that you have beat?
Is he calling the flop w/ a ruunner runner flush draw?
You don't have the odds to draw to 6 outs, which you might not even have.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I fold the turn. He had to have called all those raises with something. Why would he bet out like that instead of check/raising.

Looks like someone (perhaps without realizing it) pulled that move that was discussed on here a few months ago of check/calling the flop and betting the turn for more value than a check raise on the turn.