Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 03:13 PM

Default Rebuy and Add-on woes

Currently playing Party Poker 5+1 R+A.

23 mins in and have already made a killing off of the people who figure, "I can always rebuy"...

I'm up to t6125 in chips.
I just had a great run and knocked the same guy out two hands in a row.

Anywho, how do I deal with all the people rebuying over and over?

Should I just sit on my stack and pick my spots to accumulate, or should I go utra aggressive (I have double the person in second at my table)?

Do I use the add-on after the break? I figure that 75%+ of the players will be adding on.

Tips or general advice about playing the R+A tournament would be apppreciated.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Rebuy and Add-on woes

you should definately add-on.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:20 PM

I was thinking that, but I don't really see too many pros with that. If you could just point out why this would be ev+, that would be helpful. I just don't know if I want to shell out another buy-in for 10xbb in chips.

Also, 10Js OTB has been great to me. In the past two rotations I got the "Tay-Jay" as I once heard it called and flopped the nut straight both times. Three players all in on the last one... I am up to t10310.

With this new insight, should I still add-on?
Old 07-11-2005, 03:19 PM

always add-on.

Build a stack to a point where you feel comfortable then you can 'sit on it' and play solid poker. Don't pass up an +EV opportunity to build your stack. This is how these things are profitable.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:26 PM

Default For the record...

I hate rebuys. My strategy pre-break - top 10 only - aggressive as a wolverine - felt people left and right - let em rebuy and add-on; My goal until break is to "not rebuy or add-on." After break - crush em.

Peace,

Sean

P.S. A double edged sword of a strategy that can work nice is to stall deliberately to reduce the number of hands the crazies get to play. Double edged b/c you can aggrevate people to the point where they play bad poker and really help you out after break, or, the whole table decides to gang up on you and re-raise you every pot after break. I've received both responses before. Good Luck.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:39 PM

Default Re: For the record...

[ QUOTE ]
P.S. A double edged sword of a strategy that can work nice is to stall deliberately to reduce the number of hands the crazies get to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever heard of poker etiquitte? Or just not being a jerkoff?
Old 07-11-2005, 03:46 PM

That does get really annoying, but if you're shorty on the bubble, it can help get your entry fee back.

I also find that thinking about your hand and taking time during the hand (post flop) will usually mess up the other players with out them getting too upset. You can make the hand seem like it was an agonizing call or you are trying to figure out how to play your monster hand.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate rebuys. My strategy pre-break - top 10 only - aggressive as a wolverine - felt people left and right - let em rebuy and add-on; My goal until break is to "not rebuy or add-on." After break - crush em.

Peace,

Sean

P.S. A double edged sword of a strategy that can work nice is to stall deliberately to reduce the number of hands the crazies get to play. Double edged b/c you can aggrevate people to the point where they play bad poker and really help you out after break, or, the whole table decides to gang up on you and re-raise you every pot after break. I've received both responses before. Good Luck.

[/ QUOTE ]you cant play a rebuy tounrey not expecting to rebuy if thats what your saying
Old 07-11-2005, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Peace,

Sean

[/ QUOTE ]you cant play a rebuy tounrey not expecting to rebuy if thats what your saying

[/ QUOTE ]

I never rebuy or addon. I don't qualify too often (but I don't play very often either.) But I either get knocked out early or go pretty deep. I just don't intend to throw money at what is usually a crap shoot. Either strategy, loose play and lots of rebuys or very tight play w/no rebuys, is ok imo.