Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2004, 09:38 AM

Default Is the board pre-set?

Does anyone know what way the cards are dealt on the sites? As in, when the random generator thingy chooses what card is coming out next, does it pre-determine what the flop turn and river are, like in a real deck? As opposed to choosing each coming card at random as they are to be displayed? The equivalent of taking up the deck and shuffling it before dealing the flop, then shuffling it before the turn, and then the same for the river. Ive often wondered, as it would make or break the "oh, I would have had the straight" notion. (not a meandering to be taken seriously by any winning poker player, I know!)
Old 08-19-2004, 10:02 AM

Default Re: Is the board pre-set?

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know what way the cards are dealt on the sites? As in, when the random generator thingy chooses what card is coming out next, does it pre-determine what the flop turn and river are, like in a real deck? As opposed to choosing each coming card at random as they are to be displayed? The equivalent of taking up the deck and shuffling it before dealing the flop, then shuffling it before the turn, and then the same for the river. Ive often wondered, as it would make or break the "oh, I would have had the straight" notion. (not a meandering to be taken seriously by any winning poker player, I know!)

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how there will be any practical difference. When the turn or river peels off of either deck, you can see whether you "would have had the straight."

I have wondered the same thing you are asking now, however, and I don't know the answer.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:14 AM

It depends on the site. Some are preset after the first shuffle, others shuffle for each card.

I remember reading that at UB it just keeps continuesly shuffling and only stops to get the card when it is called on. So if you took longer to act on the turn, your river card would be different than if you clicked right away. So you could in theory complain that you missed your str8 because you clicked when you did [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2004, 10:17 AM

http://www.ultimatebet.com/about-ub/rng.html

http://www.partypoker.com/about_us/rng.html

http://www.pokerstars.com/security.html

I'm not sure why it matters whether you would have gotten a card or not, but here are the pages I found. The Ultimatebet page seems to be the most helpful, and from what I gather from different parts of the page, it continues shuffling the deck until a new card is needed.

Brett
Old 08-19-2004, 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I don't see how there will be any practical difference. When the turn or river peels off of either deck, you can see whether you "would have had the straight."

[/ QUOTE ]

But had you have been in, and had the board not been pre-set (ie., shuffling before every card), then you probably wouldnt have had the straight. Because you being in would have changed the way the cards would come out, had it not been pre-set.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So you could in theory complain that you missed your str8 because you clicked when you did [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which would remain in theory, because you still don't know which card would have come at which specific time.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:33 PM

The sites who don't continously shuffle now will most likely start doing so in the near future. It doesn't really cost them any extra, and it adds TONS of security. (Especially it adds a metric assload of _perceived_ security. Keeping clients happy is half the battle.)
Old 08-19-2004, 05:37 PM

Are they updating the pattern map logarithms to deal with this?
Old 08-19-2004, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are they updating the pattern map logarithms to deal with this?

[/ QUOTE ]

give me $50 and i'll tell you
Old 08-19-2004, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The sites who don't continously shuffle now will most likely start doing so in the near future. It doesn't really cost them any extra, and it adds TONS of security. (Especially it adds a metric assload of _perceived_ security. Keeping clients happy is half the battle.)

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont see how it would be any safer when someone could conceivably change the outcome of the cards by the timing of their actions, if anything, it would be less safe.