Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 05:30 PM

Default Another God/genius question for Sklansky

In a recent post, Sklansky made the claim that when geniuses are certain about an area that they are well-versed in, then they are very likely to be right, or at least much more likely than the average person. He then pointed to the fact that most geniuses don't believe in God as proof of the likelihood God does not exist.

My question for David is, if a panel of people who you acknowledged to be genuises by your own criteria decided that the evidence makes it overwhelmingly likely that there is a god, would that change your mind on the issue? Please assume that these geniuses represented the vast majority of geniuses, and are not some crackpot splinter group.

Clearly, if you say it wouldn't change your mind, I'm going to ask you to square that with your previous statement. But what really fascinates me is the possibility you'll say it would change your mind, and why. I'm eager to hear your thoughts on the subject.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:34 PM

Default Re: Another God/genius question for Sklansky

I don't see how geniuses could be well-versed in this subject.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:35 PM

That is another assumption that is being made for the purposes of my hypothetical question.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:51 PM

DS has made it clear he would change his mind to some extent, although he hasn't made it clear how far that extent would be.

Tons of stuff in previous threads if you can be bothered to trawl through it all.

chez
Old 10-13-2005, 07:26 PM

of course most geniuses thought Ptolemy was right, Galileo wrong and many others. plus there are quite a few geniuses who do believe in God. so it may or may not be true.

Pat
Old 10-13-2005, 07:58 PM

My apologies. I didn't realize this had been addressed. I did read through several of his posts, including the genius/certainty one, but I never saw anything like this. If he still feels like responding, though, I am still interested in reading his response.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how geniuses could be well-versed in this subject.

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly not given the idealist nature of the information (which implies no evidence).

And to answer the OP's question, I believe that David conceded he would have to seriously consider the possibility of G-d if your group of non-crackpot, non-splinter group geniuses, experts on godly matters decided that there was a G-d.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:08 AM

"My question for David is, if a panel of people who you acknowledged to be genuises by your own criteria decided that the evidence makes it overwhelmingly likely that there is a god, would that change your mind on the issue? Please assume that these geniuses represented the vast majority of geniuses, and are not some crackpot splinter group."

Basically the answer is yes. Although I would feel better about it if I had a few hours to question them about specific things that bother me.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:22 AM

Thanks, David. Your reply is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"My question for David is, if a panel of people who you acknowledged to be genuises by your own criteria decided that the evidence makes it overwhelmingly likely that there is a god, would that change your mind on the issue? Please assume that these geniuses represented the vast majority of geniuses, and are not some crackpot splinter group."

Basically the answer is yes. Although I would feel better about it if I had a few hours to question them about specific things that bother me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that. One thing that a lot of believers miss... is that someone can't choose their beliefs. Beliefs are created by the mix of information that enters someones mind. I used to believe in God, until enough new information entered my mind. If said group of geniuses were to claim that God most likely exists, then that's because they have a lot of information they analyzed to come up with that conclusion. I'd want to see the same information, and their reasoning for the conclusion.