Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Wild novice players hard to beat in tournament

I play poker online usually a $1/$2 cash table. I play resonably well. I usually make a couple extra hundred a month.

I also play a tournament game about once a week with about 8 to 10 friends/associates. Almost all of these guys know nothing about poker stragegy. They play almost everyhand. I don't think any know what the word "fold" means. They throw their chips around usually leaving one very lucky person with a large stack of chips. We pay out to three places and I almost always at least get my money back, but I can never seem to win first because of the wild play and someone always ending up with a chip stack that is hard to come back against. I basically play the hand recommendations for a loose game recommended in Small Stakes Holdem Winning Big With Expert Play. Should I play even loser and hope to get lucky? Any other suggestions?
Old 02-25-2005, 05:34 PM

Default Re: Wild novice players hard to beat in tournament

Remember that SSH is for limit ring games, you're playing a tournament (assuming NLH?). Different games and different things to think about.

When playing these games, you won't be able to bluff people off hands. But in contrast, they will pay you off with big hands. The players I've seen like this love suited cards, so be aware of flushes. However, they will pay you off in the reverse situation. Axs can become a very big hand. Also remember, they will call bets even though you make it "incorrect" based on pot odds. This means nothing to them.

This is going to be a game of patience for you. Don't make mistakes and make them pay for their mistakes. Its a different game, you'll need different strategies....
Old 02-25-2005, 05:52 PM

I play in a similar home game once every week or two. And even though you may make the money, they can be a pain to win. The adjustment I make, and this could be completely wrong is to play preflop 'any two will do'. If i can catch my monster, i pretty much have the tourney locked up. While this seems a rather dumb way to approach it, I find since i play much better post flop, i can get away from the hands that they cant, giving me huge upside. That being said, I usually only play this for the first or second level of the blinds after that, back to smart preflop play.

just my thoughts...
Old 02-25-2005, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That being said, I usually only play this for the first or second level of the blinds after that, back to smart preflop play.

[/ QUOTE ]
i used to play in an underground that was similiar but played reverse to your advice. i was tight early with low blinds and not enough money in the pot to risk playing any two will do. mixing up your play with these people was of no use(they would call a preflop all in even if you hadnt played a hand in 3 orbits), i just sat back and waited for a big pair and pushed (didnt worry about trying to be tricky), i usually could double up a few times and then when the blinds got big i just muscled my way through.