Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 03:48 AM

Default Monstrous pot with Aces

5-5 nl
Hero is CO with $15k with Ah As viewed as LAG.
Villain is Button with $9k also a LAG IMO.
I think we're both viewed as maniacal overbetters.
Ive caught him a few times trying to pull off a Gigantic bluff, and so has he,we played many big pots together with neither having much. For those who know the Foxwoods game, the villain is John, the attorney.
2 limpers to me, I raise to $50...my standard raise, means nothing to anybody.
Villain calls, everyone else folds
Flop is 6 2 8r
I bet $200.
He raises to $1k, which i can understand as I lead out and bet almost any flop where im the raiser. I raise to $3k. He pushes. My action?

Results in white below.
<font color="white"> I called like an idiot, he showed me a set of 6's .I caught an Ace on the river and won.
The only reason I called his push, is because He has tried big bluffs before with nothing and so have I. The way I looked at it was, "he's thinking im trying to bluff him outta this pot, so i am ahead."
</font>
Old 05-11-2005, 04:24 AM

Default Re: Monstrous pot with Aces

Every post from foxwoods, it sounds like people have 10k min. at that table. Is this really standard for a friggin 5-5 NL game. Unless your 5 is short for 50.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:29 AM

I should admit to no experience at these stakes, but still: when he raises your flop bet strongly, surely we are now in way-ahead-or-way-behind mode? I agree that he could well be putting you on an auto-flop bet and seeking to punish you for it, but why re-raise him here? You're either going to lose him right there or get into serious trouble, I would have thought.

Maybe I am a wuss, but I think I would have (at most!) called down reasonable-sized bets after he raised the flop bet. Until improving on the river of course.

Just an aside: I don't know this game but I have played a little at Foxwoods. How did your opponent take this river suckout? Was there a lot of shouting? Did security need to be called?
Old 05-11-2005, 04:45 AM

Well thanks for telling every1 the results, but no, he did not take it badly, he was just like...i gotta go get more money.
When he comes back, he says...Maybe ull miss ur 2 outers one of these times, as a joke, to which i replied.. u hit ur two outer, and then i hit mine, sounds fair to me.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:48 AM

It is standard for THAT table. 3-4k is typically short stack. I think theres a capped buy in AC cuz of some NJ gaming commission regulation., but no such things at foxwoods.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:43 AM

$15,000 stack for $5/$5 NL. Get the [censored] out.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I called like an idiot, he showed me a set of 6's

[/ QUOTE ]

This is bad.

[ QUOTE ]
When he comes back, he says...Maybe ull miss ur 2 outers one of these times, as a joke, to which i replied.. u hit ur two outer, and then i hit mine, sounds fair to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is silly.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
5-5 nl
Hero is CO with $15k with Ah As viewed as LAG.
Villain is Button with $9k also a LAG IMO.

Flop is 6 2 8r
I bet $200.
He raises to $1k, which i can understand as I lead out and bet almost any flop where im the raiser. I raise to $3k. He pushes. My action?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't go around calling a 600bb bet with just aces*, from a player who knows what he's about.

If you're going to play such huge stacks relative to the blinds, you've got to be able to get away from strong hands.

But you don't need us to tell you it was a very poor call, do you? You know it already.

*postflop
Old 05-11-2005, 09:02 AM

I am still not certain it was a terrible call, given my image and his image. We've played a huge pot before where I had kings and he reraised me 3 times preflop and kept betting big on an AQJ rag rag rainbow board(not in that order), and when i called his push in the end he mucked as soon I answered yes to the question "u got a pair".
He wouldnt be surprised if i was bluffing him out of the pot and tried to bluff me back.
Thats what i thought and called. We are both very capable of pulling such a move with monkey crap.Against any sane player, i dont think I would ever call this.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am still not certain it was a terrible call, given my image and his image. We've played a huge pot before where I had kings and he reraised me 3 times preflop and kept betting big on an AQJ rag rag rainbow board(not in that order), and when i called his push in the end he mucked as soon I answered yes to the question "u got a pair".
He wouldnt be surprised if i was bluffing him out of the pot and tried to bluff me back.
Thats what i thought and called. We are both very capable of pulling such a move with monkey crap.Against any sane player, i dont think I would ever call this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against any normal opponent you lose.

It sounds like you're playing mind games with this guy, and if every hand you play agaisnt him is that read-dependent then you just need to trust your read and not our advice; we don't know this dude, and you do.