Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 12:22 PM

Default Question about Coaches:

I see a number of posts asking about coaches. And I've heard great things about the work from the likes of Joe Tall, etc. and how they've really helped others' games.

My understanding is that they may charge about $50/hr or something like that. (Am I wrong here? Could someone please correct me, if so.)

Now, in order to be an effective coach, I'd imagine players like Joe Tall make at least $100-$200 per hour playing poker.

So my question is: What's in it for them?

Adam
Old 11-05-2005, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Question about Coaches:

[ QUOTE ]
I see a number of posts asking about coaches. And I've heard great things about the work from the likes of Joe Tall, etc. and how they've really helped others' games.

My understanding is that they may charge about $50/hr or something like that. (Am I wrong here? Could someone please correct me, if so.)

Now, in order to be an effective coach, I'd imagine players like Joe Tall make at least $100-$200 per hour playing poker.

So my question is: What's in it for them?

Adam

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically some people, (me included) think that coaching players makes you a better player as well as the student as you have to question the reasons behind your play. Some coaches charge 100-150 an hour. There are many that would still be worth it at 200 an hour.

It also makes friends and maybe makes poker a less isolated experience.

Krishan
Old 11-05-2005, 12:39 PM

Even for decent players, some variance free money doing something you enjoy is a good deal.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

JT charges $100/hr.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:15 PM

I was thinking of starting my own thread about this but thought I would put it here instead.

What do you get out of getting coached? Obviously you will learn some things, but more specifically what does the time you're paying for entail?

I'm assuming you send them some hands and they review them, I presume that they charge you for the time they're looking through the hands(I guess you just have to trust that they won't overcharge here). Then at some point you will discuss poker with them. What is actually being discussed? Is it just a discussion of your hands or more philosophical, thought process oriented?

For those that have done it, how much better is it than just posting a lot of thoughtful posts in the strategy forums? For the most part these top guys don't post a lot of responses to hands, especially at my stakes (3/6 and 5/10 6 max and $55 sngs) so you would get a clear benefit from these guys following your play but is there a lot of benefit beyond this?

I'd be interested to hear from both coaches and people who have been coached on this.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:49 AM

Typically either of two scenarios will occur:

1. As you said, you send the coach a block of hands and he reveiws them and charges a flat or time-based rate.

2. This is the most typical of the two in my experience. The coach sweats you for a predermined amount of time using IM, telephone, etc.

Both methods have their pros and cons such as getting an actual hard copy of the coach's thoughts for the hand history option and getting feedback on every single one of your hands during the sweat and identifying leaks that you didn't even know were there. I think the sweat is the best option, as you get to discuss other topics rather than simply hand strategy during the times between hands.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:34 PM

troll
Old 11-06-2005, 12:59 PM

what's in it for them?

i used to play baseball as an adult in a semipro league. at the same time, i coached a little league team. coaching made me a better player because it forced me to think about the game from a different perspective. i think joe tall, et al gain as much from coaching other players as the players who are receiving their instruction.