Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2005, 07:24 AM

Default Q9s from CO

Moderately loose (28 avg VPIP) passive table. Have only been here a few orbits, but have seen some odd plays, including a turn semi-bluff checkraise with a gutshot draw, followed up by a river bet when the guy missed. Later on, I saw another guy I'd mentally categorised as 'passive fish' 3-bet the flop and raise the river with unpaired AK.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

As you do

Flop: (8 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, Hero calls, Button folds, SB calls.

So, six dubious overcard outs, backdoor third-nut flush draw, redraws for any A, 2, 6, 7 if I pair on the turn. Pot approaching decent size. When the action got to me I briefly contemplated raising to get the button and try for a free card, is this morally wrong?

Turn: (7 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

Friendly turn happy turn

River: (12 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets (er...)</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises (dood wtf)</font>, Hero has brainspasm

Okay. No one is betting or raising trip threes. If SB had a 6, he surely wouldn't have been able to resist the superb position he was in for the turn c/r. I don't think he flopped a set with 44/55 as we'd probably have heard more from him on the flop, though it could have been a misguided slowplay that turned into a frightened check-call on the turn. 53s 43s 32s are possibilities. If he has a flush, well, Axs Kxs beats me and my situation vis-à-vis 64s is similarly not good, though he might well be playing any two of the remaining spades given preflop odds, so there are hands in the 'possible' range that I beat.

Then MP2 decides to raise both the guy who bet out when the flush card hit, and the flop/turn aggressor who has overcalled.

Due to the unusual action I've seen on previous hands I'm leaning towards a flat call. If SB 3-bets God only knows what I will do. Maybe fold.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:05 AM

Default Re: Q9s from CO

looks ok, but I would fold the flop. When you hit the turn you will be very vulnerable when ahead, and you often will not be ahead. I find it difficult to give myself ~4 outs, but with the bd flush draw I think it is a marginal call. Definitely the right spot to go for overcalls.

welcome
Old 03-22-2005, 08:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
looks ok, but I would fold the flop. When you hit the turn you will be very vulnerable when ahead, and you often will not be ahead. I find it difficult to give myself ~4 outs, but with the bd flush draw I think it is a marginal call. Definitely the right spot to go for overcalls.

[/ QUOTE ]

My hand does look like a whole lot of nothing on the flop, but I have two live-ish overcards and a backdoor draw, I'm getting 13-1 on a call, and I doubt SB is planning to checkraise the field. I can't see myself folding this here. Maybe it's a loose call, but if it's wrong I think it's only by a very small degree.

The river action is what I'm concerned about, more than the early streets. It was the only point in the hand where I really had no idea what to do. Your comments are appreciated though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Edit: just saw the 'definitely the right spot to go for overcalls' sentence, which I assume is re. the river. Oops
Old 03-22-2005, 11:42 AM

You're going to have to coldcall the river. Your opponents could have the high straight (67), trips or a smaller flush. Of course, he could have a boat or higher flush but I find that unlikely. I would definitely call the two bets on the end.

Jeff
Old 03-22-2005, 06:49 PM

Call the river and prepare to be berated if you win.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call the river and prepare to be berated if you win.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-22-2005, 06:55 PM

Two players might have Aces for the wheel. I cannot see folding, a boat scares me more then a higher flush.

I think you will have the best hand more often than not.