Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2004, 01:52 PM

Default Bluffing for Dummies 101

I'm a relatively new Hold 'em player. I know that bluffing is an important part of the game. At this stage I wait for good opening cards and play them right. I've finally gotten away from paying for miracle draws/cards, or limping in w/weak hands. Both of those mistakes cost a lot over time.

If I don't have the best or sometimes second best hand, I typically won't call the large bets on the river. I also never bluff at the pot, they're usually semi-bluffs because I do have an out, even though it would be the miracle or runner-runner.

I know that bluffing (detecting and intiating) is the most subjective part of the game. I feel secure with my pre-flop fundementals and mostly post-flop. I need some advice on bring my game up a level.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:30 PM

Default Re: Bluffing for Dummies 101

I wouldn't worry about it in limit that much. - Unless you're playing ultra high limit, no one is gonna fold a 12BB pot to a raise (esp. now that Ed Miller's book has come out) -

Great story by Doyle in his book of poker wisdom - one day a kid comes with two books to the poker game...one is English Lit. - and the other one is faced away from them but eventually they see the spine and it says "How to be successful bluffing at poker"

Well, he takes a lot of their money over the course of the day. They can't catch him when he's bluffing, apparently, and he usually has a hand when they call him. As he cashes out, he throws the book in the center of the table saying "you guys look like you could use this book" -

they nearly kill each other getting to it...when they open up the book "How to be successful bluffing at poker" - all the pages are blank except the first one, where written is the word...

"Don't"

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] - great story.

RB
Old 08-14-2004, 04:36 PM

"I'm a relatively new Hold 'em player. I know that bluffing is an important part of the game."

Keep working on improving that first statement, because your second statement is wrong.
Old 08-14-2004, 04:51 PM

Default bluffing is overrated, but...

i was having a real good day at bay 101 this week, up about 30bbs in 2 hours, i get ak on the button, raised in front of me, i reraise, the flop is total garbage, 247 or so. everyone checks, i bet out, all but 2 fold. turn: J, checked to me, i bet again. river 8, complete rainbow board, checked to me and i bet again and both fold, one of whom was a regular and folded his pair of 4's face up, i turn over my AK grab the fairly large pot while he moans and groans. i dont usually do garbage like that, but i thoguht they might respect my raise since i had a pretty large stack with a white chip underneath.

rj
Old 08-14-2004, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Bluffing is essential

I dont care what anyone says, bluffing is a huge part of being a successful player. However, it takes more than just an ability to bet with nothing at any time. One thing you have to tune in to is the way OTHER people play. Get tells on them and an idea of the strength of their hand. Then play your hand like it is stronger. If you KNOW your opponent isn't thrilled about his hand,thats the best place to bluff. Lots of players just bluff for the hell of it cuz they play lesser players and can bully them consistantly. Pay attention to these plaers because they can become very profitable.
A lot of times semi-bluffing is a great move. (When you are bluffing but have a chance at winning the hand, ex. you have an open end strait draw and bet big).
So whether it a cold bluff or a semi bluff, use them wisely. Pick up some books about the subject, but there's my 2+2 cents. [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2004, 06:44 PM

Default Re: Bluffing is essential

im not saying bluffing isnt essential, i am saying that it is ridiculously overrated, most people think all we poker players do is push our chips in on bluffs and get lucky, there is soooo much timing and skill involved that needs to be realized too.

rj
Old 08-14-2004, 07:02 PM

Default Re: exactly

as I said, bluffs are amazing if they are executed properly. If its just some guy throwing his chips in and getting lucky, thats stupid. I thought I stated that bluff should be made with skill and reading ability, knowing your opponent, etc.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:19 PM

The people you want to bluff are those that have a tendency to fold too much. Not against the calling stations that probably comprise 99.9% of all online players, many of which thrive on trying to catch other people bluffing. You can still be a winning poker player without ever bluffing.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't worry about it in limit that much. - Unless you're playing ultra high limit, no one is gonna fold a 12BB pot to a raise (esp. now that Ed Miller's book has come out) -

great story man. come over to pokernoob.com and write some articles [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Great story by Doyle in his book of poker wisdom - one day a kid comes with two books to the poker game...one is English Lit. - and the other one is faced away from them but eventually they see the spine and it says "How to be successful bluffing at poker"

Well, he takes a lot of their money over the course of the day. They can't catch him when he's bluffing, apparently, and he usually has a hand when they call him. As he cashes out, he throws the book in the center of the table saying "you guys look like you could use this book" -

they nearly kill each other getting to it...when they open up the book "How to be successful bluffing at poker" - all the pages are blank except the first one, where written is the word...

"Don't"

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] - great story.

RB

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-14-2004, 07:38 PM

Default \"top-spin\"?

Wow, the first time I saw this thread, I thought I'd been sleep-posting again [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

The fact that you apparently registered just 2 days after me is also an amusing coincidence ...