Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2004, 07:24 PM

Default Talking at the table to gain EV....

I was kind of curious from an etiquette perspective if this is shunned upon. Also wonder if any one else tries to employ anything through chat that would increase EV.
Here are a couple of examples from hands I played today where I think I may not have gotten paid off if I didn't say in the chat window a couple of things I said.

Example 1:

I have T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the BB MP open raises to 14 dollars - this is 2/4 NL. I call in the BB, flop comes:

A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Ideal, of course, now to get paid off. I bet into the raiser for 20, he minraises me to 40 - typical bad online stuff, I figured him for a good ace, if he has aces of course im paying off with a clear conscience. Anyhow, so I raise back 125 more, and say in the chat window:

"Same hand huh?"

He thinks for a second, and pushes...
I call - he has AK, Who frowns upon this, as I think this doesent work against everyone, but these kind of mind games can work against weaker competition. Its like the force...

Example #2...

I have 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], LP raises my SB I call...Hes a shortstack.

Flop is 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I check - he bets potsized, I reraise him all in since he has like another 100 behind, and I say in the chatwindow before I do that...

"How good is your kicker"

This stuff is pretty silly - but I really think it works against the right people...

Thoughts please...

(obviously this bs won't work against alot of people)

The idea behind this obviously, is just to convince your opponet your holding is weaker then it is. This would not work in any tough game. The thing is, these days the chatrooms, well at full tilt anyways have tons of chatting about hands. People discussing hands afterwards - trying to convince eachother they made the right move. So this talk really does appear to work sometimes...
Old 10-25-2004, 07:49 PM

Default Re: Talking at the table to gain EV....

I don't think it's any different than talking at a live table to try and get information out of an opponent. It happened all the time in the WSOP broadcasts on ESPN.

Nice hands btw.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:51 PM

I don't have a problem with this, just a little more trickey at the table.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:13 PM

It's excellent to talk when you have the stone cold nuts. Everyone knows that 'only bluffers talk'.

My two main +EV things to say in the chat is "You're not man enough to buy in again" and "That was a tough beat, things were really turning around for you. Well, it was great playing with you, I'm sure you'll more than make it up."

I really need to shorten the second one a bit. And I guess all readers can figure out what two types of players get told these lines when they bust out...