Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 06:51 PM

Default A10 suited - TOP

I came across the same situation at 1/2 6 max as in TOP (p. 43).

I have Ac 10c in 2nd position with 2 callers behind me.

Flop is Ah Qh 9s.

First position bets. TOP says that I should "probably" fold. So I did.

Seem right? Players were somewhat tight (and preflop was raised).
Old 09-14-2005, 07:00 PM

Default Re: A10 suited - TOP

I don't ever see myself folding that.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:06 PM

TOP doesn't much apply to 1/2 game.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:12 PM

i dont understand why you would fold. You have top pair good kicker, its pretty unlikely your outkicked because most people open raise with AJ.
I would raise to try to get it h/u and i would continue to value bet the later streets if he is simply calling down.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont understand why you would fold. You have top pair good kicker, its pretty unlikely your outkicked because most people open raise with AJ.
I would raise to try to get it h/u and i would continue to value bet the later streets if he is simply calling down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I decided to follow Slansky's reasoning. He says:

"Not only has the first position player suggested a great deal of strength, but he may get raised by such hands as an ace-king, ace-queen, and three of a kind, which shortens your pot odds and further decreases the possibility of your ending up with the best hand. Additionally, the chance of calls from flush draws and straight draws behind you further diminishes the strength of your pair of aces. You face the uncomfortable double possibility of being second best at the moment and of being outdrawn on the last two cards."
Old 09-14-2005, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I have Ac 10c in 2nd position with 2 callers behind me.
First position bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this mean? You raised preflop and got two callers behind you? Aren't you in first position? This doesn't make sense.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:09 AM

That is pretty much a god awful, terrible, horrible, very bad fold. Sklansky would never suggest folding such a hand in a short handed game. Go back and read the SH sections of TOP and HPFAP. Also, TOP was written for mid limit live play which is a completely different world than the 1/2 game on party.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That is pretty much a god awful, terrible, horrible, very bad fold. Sklansky would never suggest folding such a hand in a short handed game. Go back and read the SH sections of TOP and HPFAP. Also, TOP was written for mid limit live play which is a completely different world than the 1/2 game on party.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't see the author say that TOP was intended for certain poker games and not others. It's the "theory of poker," not "the theory of mid limit live poker." Maybe you know something I don't about the author's intent.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I didn't see the author say that TOP was intended for certain poker games and not others. It's the "theory of poker," not "the theory of mid limit live poker." Maybe you know something I don't about the author's intent.

[/ QUOTE ]

1/2 party is full of people betting with anything and everything. In live, players tend to have something when they bet.

Id never make this fold, because you also have odds to improve against most hands you're behind (which isnt many).
Old 09-15-2005, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Not only has the first position player suggested any two cards, but he may get raised by such hands as an ace-deuce, queen-four, and a gutshot, which increases your equity and further increases the possibility of your ending up with more money. Additionally, the chance of calls from any two cards behind you further strengthens your pair of aces. You face the comfortable double possibility of being best at the moment and of being chased by people with improper odds to draw on the last two cards."

[/ QUOTE ]

I took the liberty to modify the theoretical principles to the actual play of your opponents. It might suggest a different course of action.