Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 06:30 AM

Default Funky hand. Maniac to my right.

Hi all. This is a hand where I don't know whether to raise, call, check, or fold on the turn. The villain (UTG) is a maniac and he obviously does not study the game. Take a look.

Party Poker 20.00/40.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>

Few players behind me. One more donkey to my left. I'm not sure if I should raise the turn to knock the rest of the players out. I might be donating money to the villain (UTG) if he has me beat. If I call then I might get raised by the other opponents. It's pretty sick to even think about folding this hand. Is this one of those hands where you just call and pray?
Old 11-04-2005, 06:33 AM

Default Re: Funky hand. Maniac to my right.

If UTG is a maniac then this is a very easy raise as it would be nice to fold out hands behind you that have 5 outs and get heads up with a inferior hand held by a guy that will pay off.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:41 AM

Don't fold.

I would raise, looking put pressure on a hand like 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], if that happens to be what BB has, and also in hopes of charging anyone behind me with a worse ace more to chase their kicker and their six chopping outs versus my hand (the 6's and 2's). I don't really mind if someone folds a worse ace.

Someone behind me may have been slowplaying the flop, but I would take that chance.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:45 AM

Thanks guys. after reading your posts. I think the best play would be to raise and check the river. I totally forgot that another 6 or 2 would help me split the pot. I can't believe I almost folded. The maniac won with K6.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:47 AM

....he's a maniac and you're asking this question? Even if he wasn't a maniac....cmon now.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks guys. after reading your posts. I think the best play would be to raise and check the river. I totally forgot that another 6 or 2 would help me split the pot. I can't believe I almost folded. The maniac won with K6.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just for the record, against the hand the maniac actually held, a 6 wouldn't have helped you. But a 2 or an ace on the river would have won the pot for you.

I do think the maniac's turn donk-bet is confusing enough to be troublesome. That king could have helped him in some weird way, like it did. I still think you should raise, though. He could have just picked up a flush draw or something. Or maybe he decided now was the time to come to life with his pocket 6's. Or maybe he has QTo and picked up a gutshot. He's a maniac, so who knows?

Edit: And if UTG had a more sensible range of hands, the king doesn't seem like a card that should have pulled him ahead of you. So, just in general, I like a raise in this spot. (My biggest concern against someone with a reasonable range is that he might be trying to bet/3-bet with a flopped set.)