Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 06:48 PM

Default Unlikely Straight?

How did I do? Should I have called the river raise or was the 3-bet correct? I know he was representing the straight but based on his 16.67 VPIP% I figured he would have folded PF with J10 or 56. I guess 10 6 would do it to but still unlikely he would not fold PF.

PokerStars 0.10/0.20 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.10.
1 fold, UTG+1 calls, Hero raises, 2 folds, CO (poster) calls, 3 folds, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, [color=#CC3333]Hero bets</font>, CO calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, [color=#CC3333]Hero bets</font>, CO calls, UTG+1 folds.

River: (7.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
[color=#CC3333]Hero bets</font>, [color=#CC3333]CO raises</font>, [color=#CC3333]Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 13.25 BB
Old 10-28-2005, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Unlikely Straight?

Just call the river raise. Villain is either bluffing or has you beat IMO.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:04 PM

It's a bold river 3-bet, since a straight isn't the only thing that beats you.

Anyway, though, a lot of people, even fairly tight ones, don't like throwing away JTs. (And any JT would be double-gutted on the flop.) Some people, too, don't adjust much regarding what they play versus a raise versus what they play in an unraised pot. So you can't rule out a hand like A9s or A9o.

I would call the river raise, expecting to lose. (I haven't played the limit, but I'd imagine 0.1/0.2 players usually have two pair or better when they raise the river.)
Old 10-28-2005, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just call the river raise. Villain is either bluffing or has you beat IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree.. villian here could easily be sitting on JT and started chasing. The flop gave him a double gutter if that is what he really has. The nine could of helped in many other ways as well.... could of hit his set or even given him 2 pair. He is definitely raising IMO if his has just hit either. A9 is a real possibility here. I would just call the raise. No reason to 3-bet as I feel you are probably behind here more often than not.

edit Argggg a bit slow.. well I agree with everything Nick stated if you didn't notice.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] (gotta learn to type faster I guess?)
Old 10-28-2005, 07:13 PM

whats a double gutter?
Old 10-28-2005, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
whats a double gutter?

[/ QUOTE ]

A double gutter is when he has a gutshot straight draw from both ends. In this case, if he has JT and the flop comes AQ8 like it did, he can catch a K for his A-T gutshot straight or a 9 for the 8-Q gutshot. Gives him the same odds as an OESD (open ended straight draw)
Old 10-28-2005, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
whats a double gutter?

[/ QUOTE ]
A double gutter is a double gutshot, two different gutshot draws with the same set of cards.

In this case, if he had JT and the flop comes A8Q, a K gives him TJQKA or a 9 gives him 89TJQ. The effect is the same as an open-ended straight draw, eight outs. Since it's better disguised than an OESD, it's a nice hand to hold.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:24 PM

Please, guys. Preview your posts. It's not that hard. If something is funky, fix it. OP, this would be solved by choosing "2+2" instead of "FTR" when you're using the converter.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:36 PM

Sorry about that I'm kinda new at this.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:07 PM

I know it's ugly, but the villian was a poster and could have any two. So his VPIP can't really tell you what he's holding in this case. All you know is that he liked it enough to call for one more bet preflop with position on the raiser.

That said, I just call the river raise. Realistically, you have no real idea of what the guy had, but I'd guess you would lose to 2-pair in this case more often than not against a poster. Q9 or 89.