Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 03:26 AM

Default I\'m sneaky

How to get a big stack to pay you off:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) converter

Hero (t5537)
SB (t18352)
BB (t9270)
UTG (t15185)
UTG+1 (t23034)
MP1 (t27362)
MP2 (t20585)
MP3 (t6180)
CO (t20841)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls t200, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls t400, MP1 calls t400.

Flop: (t1800) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (t1800) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks.

River: (t1800) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t4912 (All-In)</font>, BB folds, MP1 calls t4912.

Final Pot: t11624

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
MP1 has Tc Qs (one pair, tens).
Hero has As Ac (three of a kind, aces).
Outcome: Hero wins t11624. </font>
Old 09-27-2005, 03:31 AM

Default Re: I\'m sneaky

very sneaky.. but good thing Ace came on turn cuz you were giving away free cards like it was christmas [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2005, 03:35 AM

That hand really played out very strangely. I like the play if 1) you know that both players are very likely to bet a flush draw on the turn and 2) neither player is very likely to have a draw to a wheel.

Plan on river if scare card falls?

Nice hand to post, BTW.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:37 AM

I somehow forgot to mention the flop check. Basically same rule applies, and I see that it's been broken. If they're betting into you with a T here a large % of the time, checking is fine. If they play it like this, checking costs you a bigger pot and gives you tough decisions on a T turn.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I somehow forgot to mention the flop check. Basically same rule applies, and I see that it's been broken. If they're betting into you with a T here a large % of the time, checking is fine. If they play it like this, checking costs you a bigger pot and gives you tough decisions on a T turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of those "I play it differently in a MTT" hands. Given my pf raise, the board is about as un-scary as it can be. I'm hoping the big stack will catch a pair on the turn, or decide to try and take the pot down, and I'm willing to take some risks for that.

The turn is interesting, as it creates a potential flush draw. After a checked-around flop, I'd expect someone to bet a four-flush on the turn most of the time, but the fact that it's an ace makes me less confident. As such, I probably come out betting in a side game or SNG. It was tough not to bet, but I decided to take a risk and aim my sights at the big stack, because I was nearing push/fold mode (blinds were about to go up) and needed to make some money. So I checked behind with the plan that I would push any river, and hope that the big stack would snap off my "bluff."
Old 09-27-2005, 03:54 AM

Explain what makes this a situation unique to MTTs. I understand this play on a shorter stack (I just got through fumbling to explain something similar in the other thread you just started), but with stacks this deep, I think your risk is pretty high no matter how you play when a scare card falls.

I still want to know your response to the various scare cards. Also, what ranges do you put them on that call preflop and check the flop? and the turn? How do these play to bets on the flop/turn? How do these play to open pushes on various rivers?
Old 09-27-2005, 03:59 AM

In this situation, don't you think MP1 would have called a moderate bet on the flop?

You bet nothing until the river. Then you push. First of all, despite the nonthreatening board, you are giving people tons of chance to beat you. Second of all, there is a good chance no one will call the overbet push.

I see people use this slowplay until the end and then push approach a lot at medium to low buyin. I am not sure if it is good.

You could have just made a continuation bet on the flop. On the turn, either make another small bet or check, appearing afraid of the ace. Then bet the river.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In this situation, don't you think MP1 would have called a moderate bet on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you argue this point with a range of hands for MP1 instead of his specific hand?
Old 09-27-2005, 04:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you argue this point with a range of hands for MP1 instead of his specific hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Two players called a raise. Someone may have a T. If not, it is likely atleast one has a pp or overcards. Everyoe may not fold to a half pot bet on this board.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:45 AM

that's an interesting line.

as betgo said, as the cards happened to lie, it was probably unnecessary. if you bet the flop, i think you get c/r'ed 90%+ of the time.

i think checking the flop is fine, and i often do that, hoping KJ will make a pair. i don't like checking the turn though - the potential for villain to make top pair and pay you off have disappeared. but the odds that he hits some misc. gutshot (or flush draw) and busts you have gone up dramatically.