Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2005, 05:34 AM

Default AQs, raise the flop as a bluff?

TGC $1/$2 Table w/ LAGs and TAGs (whered the LPPs go? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] )

Anyway really need help on hands like these as I have not really had to deal w/ stuff like this at .5/1 (I was usually the aggressor at those levels).

No reads on villain, new at table but already raised the hand before, he got 3 bet by a TPA then he capped. He bet again on the flop got raised, and check/called all the way and lost (didn't see his cards)

Hero is in MP1 w/ A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Preflop:
Fold, UTG+1 (villain) raises, EP folds, Hero 3 bets, Folds back to UTG+1 who calls.

Flop:
3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG+1 bets, Hero raises, UTG+1 calls
(I wanted to slow him down maybe to get a free card on the turn?)

Turn: J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG+1 bets, Hero raises, UTG+1 3 bets, Hero calls
(Should I have raised and then even cap w/ the nut flush and nut straight draw?)

River: A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG+1 bets, Hero calls
(Maybe top pair is not enough here given the action on the turn? Or raise again?)

I'm still having trouble adjusting to the presence of a lot more TAGs and LAGs at $1/$2. My VPIP at this level is only 15.5% w/ a PFR of 7% (1,300 hands), compared to 20% and 8.7% PFR at the .5/1 level (2,400 hands). I know its a small sample but am I way too tight and passive preflop?

Thanks!
Old 01-18-2005, 05:42 AM

Default Re: AQs, raise the flop as a bluff?

Seeing the villian in action for only one hand can't stand as a reliable read.

After the stop'n go I'd be reluctant to semi-bluff raise the turn.

I'd probably call the river.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:48 AM

Wow I don't like any postflop street to tell you the truth. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

I'll give some thoughts later. I would like to see what other people think 1st.

Brad
Old 01-18-2005, 05:56 AM

Yeah I was trying to be a lot more aggressive, I tried my regular play (somewhat TAA more TNN) at $1/$2 and I always got pushed around and kept on being pushed out of pots with semibluffs and bluffs by these $1/$2 tables full of LAAs and TPAs.

So I've just been trying different things. What are some of adjustments you made when you moved from .5/1 to 1/2? As posted previously both my VPIP and PFR dropped and my aggression factors are slightly lower too (esp. the river aggression). Is this trend relatively reasonable as you move up? Or are the small sample stats an indication that I need to increase VPIP and PFR at the same time?

Thanks Brad! I think I'll drop back to .5/1 after I clear the bonus at TGC...
Old 01-18-2005, 05:59 AM

But everyones asleep except for us damn racoons!
Old 01-18-2005, 06:04 AM

Heh I never moved from .5/1 to 1/2...

I am moving from 5/10 to 2/4 right now and I will let you know if and how my numbers change. I will try to maintain my same style and not just loosen up because I'm playing at a lower limit.

Brad
Old 01-18-2005, 06:09 AM

Pre-Flop: I like to 3-bet pre-flop. I'm not folding and I really dislike cold-calling pre-flop and the position it puts you in unless you get a great flop.

Flop: Fold. The pot is small; Villain raised pre-flop which implies a strong hand; the flop almost totally missed you (you have overcards, but of course you will with AQ; you have a BDSD (pretty weak) and a BDFD; not enough for a small pot heads-up against a pf-raiser from UTG, IMHO).

Turn: If you make it here, don't raise, just call. Your flush is looking better, and your SD improved, too, but is still very speculative. You're calling only (almost) for the flush possibility and hoping you can extract a bet or two from Villain if you hit it.

River: Just fold. Top pair / good kicker is not enough against a pf-raiser who bet every street against you and this board. What possible hand do you beat that UTG+1 is playing this way?
Old 01-18-2005, 06:15 AM

My thoughts exactly. Nice post.

Brad
Old 01-18-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My thoughts exactly. Nice post.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. Nice to know I'm not just spewing BS late at night after too many beers (but even if I were, it's still better than spewing chips at the tables in that condition [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )
Old 01-18-2005, 03:22 PM

I fold this preflop and on the flop unless I'm sure villian is a maniac. If he's a maniac I like both streets.

The turn bet is just plain spewing. He's not folding and you have less than 50% of making the best hand, you cannot raise for value here.

Call the river. You win at least 10% of the time here. I think folding is a big mistake.