Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2005, 06:39 PM

Default WPC at the Plaza

I was at the Plaza last night, playing in a private tourney for kicks.

Ben Magee, the new tourney director over there, was in the room. I asked him about the WPC coming up in April. I told him I'd called five times, and never found out what the room rates were, nor the juice on these events. I just kept getting the runaround.

Imagine my shock when he told me that the room rates were $35. Not that the Plaza is some nice digs, but lots of worse hotels were charging a lot more during the WSOP and other big events.

Then he really shocked me, when he said the reason they hadn't made the juice public is because he is still trying to talk the owner down one more percent. One more percent from 5% to 4% !!!!

Yeah, 5%, even for the smallest buy-in events.

I made my reservations on the spot. I can't believe this is happening in today's day and age of 15%, 25%, 50% juice events.

Not only do they seem to be taking up the gauntlet of the dying games that Harrah's dropped like hot potatoes (A-5, HORSE, Stud, etc), but they are only charging players a maximum of 5%!!! Plus they have two main events, a 10k one and a 50k one.

Yeah, I'm so there. No, I'm not shilling, I'm in shock.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2005, 07:49 PM

Default Re: WPC at the Plaza

who's paying 50% juice?
Old 01-11-2005, 07:52 PM

Default Re: WPC at the Plaza

I think Jim Geary mentioned something about those Step tourneys at Party being 52.3% juice if you played them all the way up and won the whole thing.

Someone wrote about a televised tournament on RGP, being held in a northern state (MN? WI?) where the participants are paying 60% juice. He said the cardroom told him the reason they are charging 60% is because the local TV station won't broadcast the tourney unless the players pay for it themselves...

Lots of stories like this.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]