Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 10:48 AM

Default ($30) How was this AK played?

$10 MTT on Party. BB has played more than the usual share of hands early and has shown some weak holdings.

I'm particualarly wondering about my river bet...his range could be two cards, but I'm thinking a pocket pair under Ten.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

UTG+1 (t670)
UTG+2 (t1675)
MP1 (t930)
MP2 (t1510)
MP3 (t255)
CO (t1495)
Button (t870)
SB (t970)
BB (t1685)
Hero (t925)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t50</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, Button calls t50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls t35.

Flop: (t157.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t75</font>, Button folds, BB calls t75.

Turn: (t307.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (t307.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t100</font>, BB calls t100.

Final Pot: t507.50
Old 09-21-2005, 11:03 AM

Default Re: ($30) How was this AK played?

Edit: Whoops, I missed your flush. Well played.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:27 AM

What flush? I only see 4 spades here...

I think you can't play AK this strong against such a coordinated board. Someone is bound to have a J or T or somekind of flush/straightdraw. I would only have stuck around for the turncard for a small amount of money to see if it filled my straight, if it didn't I would fold my AK to any bet.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:11 PM

One of the biggest leaks I see playing the $10 at PP is the inability for someone to lay down AK. Most guys take it all the way to the river wishing and hoping.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:46 PM

I don't bet the river here. He gave you the chance to showdown for free. I smell a T or a lower pocket pair.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:12 PM

So your river bet is for value? What worse hand is going to call you? Any PP below ten is no longer good (except 88). He probably has AK/AQ/Ax and you're splitting. I think there's a small chance that he has QQ. I check behind on the river since you're probably splitting at best.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So your river bet is for value? What worse hand is going to call you? Any PP below ten is no longer good (except 88). He probably has AK/AQ/Ax and you're splitting. I think there's a small chance that he has QQ. I check behind on the river since you're probably splitting at best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it was for value. I'm beating the pocket pairs and I want him to fold his A high hands. Maybe my bet was too small. I'm folding to any raise so I thought a 1/3 bet might
1. get him to fold his A high
2. get a call from pocket pairs
3. easy fold if raised.

To JCCOOKJR...when do you see I should "lay down" my AK here?

gl,
Mike.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Edit: Whoops, I missed your flush. Well played.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm an idiot.

I think it takes a sophisticated player to check a hand better than AK on that river, and unless you've got some reason to think that Villain is such a player, I'm not going to assume some guy at a $10+1 is setting a trap here. I like OP's analysis for what he hopes to accomplish with the bet.

The argument for checking seems to be that your hand is probably good, but no worse hand will call you. If that were true, then wouldn't this be a good river bet if Hero held 72o? If we expect Villain to fold anything short of an A, I think it would be. However, I don't make bluffs like that at $10 tournaments without a very specific read, and I bet that most of you don't either. I don't put it past Villain to call with a K, with a low pair that he doesn't realize is counterfeited, or with a low pair just out of frustration. I guess what I'm getting at is that when bluffing is a bad idea, isn't value betting usually a good idea?
Old 09-21-2005, 03:32 PM

With him calling I think you're probably beaten. Results?
Old 09-21-2005, 03:38 PM

Terible bet on the river...

all the hands you beat fold
all the hands you don't beat call.

SOME of the hands you split with fold.