Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 05:37 AM

Default Excel question

I'm pretty good with excel i think and have been using it to track my MTT play, but i've come up with two things that i can't figure out.

1) I keep running totals for ROI%, ITM% etc and i'd like to be able to graph them.. how would i go about graphing a collumn that will have data added to it? I don't want to have to edit the graph every time i add a tournament, but i can't just have it use the data from the whole collumn beceause then theres tons of empty cells it uses. Any ideas?

2) I use it to track myy TLB, what kind of function could i use to count just the biggest 20 (or 10 or 100) in a series?

Thanks

-Ray
Old 09-20-2005, 08:03 AM

Default Re: Excel question

1) if the cells are just empty they should not plot (assuming under TOOLS, OPTIONS, CHART...you have plot empty cells as Not Plotted...
But if you are using a formula that has a logical to set to a blank cell this will not work...your best best is to filter your column on non-blanks (DATA, FILTER, AUTOFILTER, select the column of data and click the drop down and select Non-blanks)...just make sure under TOOLS, OPTIONS, CHART you have plot visible cells only selected

EDIT****this seems to work too...assuming formula based...assume your formula (for simplicity sake) was
=IF(A1=0,"",A1)
try changing it to
=IF(A1=0,#N/A,A1)
that seems to make it not plot the #N/A

then for sake of visual display on the sheet do conditional formatting on the data to essentially hide the #N/A...
highlight range with formula (assuming data in A1:A100)
FORMAT, CONDITIONAL FORMATTING,
Formula is =ISNA(A1)
change font to color WHITE (this will essentially hide the #N/A from view with it really being there for the charting operation)

2) if i'm following you correctly look at the LARGE function....
eg
=LARGE(A1:A100,1) would get you the largest number
=LARGE(A1:A100,2) would get you the second largestest number
etc,etc
Old 09-20-2005, 08:28 AM

Alright, that worked for my TLB problem... but i do use a formula that sets it to blank, so i tried the filter, but when i add new things, the filter prevented the cells from being filled.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:34 AM

I posted an edit in the above post...see if that works for you...we must have crossed paths during my writing of the EDIT...

also, if that doesn't work post the formula (assuming it's a formula) that's in the cell you are trying to graph and we'll go from there
Old 09-20-2005, 09:58 AM

someone sent me a PM w/ what i was looking for, it's Dynamic grgaphing, using the OFFSET function. It works well.