Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2005, 03:03 AM

Default WTF does this mean?

Just started trying out the $22s on Stars. Here's something I'm not used to seeing.

This is about the 10th hand of the tourney, villain hasn't played any hand yet.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) converter

CO (t1800)
Button (t970)
SB (t1520)
BB (t1320)
UTG (t2030)
UTG+1 (t1490)
Hero (t1800)
MP2 (t1160)
MP3 (t1410)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t20, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t100</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t1490</font>

???
Old 08-14-2005, 03:09 AM

Default Re: WTF does this mean?

Doesn't look scary to me. Big pockets usually like minireraising. In the party sit'n'gos I play it's an easy all-in.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:14 AM

Yup. This doesn't exactly scream strength to me. I call, pretty quickly.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't look scary to me. Big pockets usually like minireraising. In the party sit'n'gos I play it's an easy all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-14-2005, 03:15 AM

You're probably looking at complete junk or a hand like AK. With the deeper stacks I think folding is the best option in this spot.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're probably looking at complete junk or a hand like AK. With the deeper stacks I think folding is the best option in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Isn't that kind of self-contradicting? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Okay, okay, I know.. You want to pass up SMALL edges. But this looks like a very significant edge to me.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, okay, I know.. You want to pass up SMALL edges. But this looks like a very significant edge to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, yes it is. Passing up at worst a 57/43 spot and at best a 80/20 chance to double up is absolutely insane. I'd say you're at least 65% here, and no one's good enough to pass that up 10-handed.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With the cards turned face up, I wouldn't call if he showed Ax. This differs a lot from what I'd do in a PP tourney with the absurdely shallow stacks and fast structure, or from what I'd do in an MTT.

The payout structure associated with the blind structure make this a fold in my book. Doubling up here gives you a healthy stack, but by no means guarantees you a spot ITM. The risk/reward ratio is just not worth it, even knowing that I'm a favorite to win the hand.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With the cards turned face up, I wouldn't call if he showed Ax. This differs a lot from what I'd do in a PP tourney with the absurdely shallow stacks and fast structure, or from what I'd do in an MTT.

The payout structure associated with the blind structure make this a fold in my book. Doubling up here gives you a healthy stack, but by no means guarantees you a spot ITM. The risk/reward ratio is just not worth it, even knowing that I'm a favorite to win the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds very wrong. If your opponent shows you A9o, and you know you're getting better than 2-1, you have to call.

gap is not stretched very far this early in a tourney. In mind the gap, eastbay gives equity multipliers for doubling up as you near the bubble. Assuming equal stacks they are 1.61,1.75,1.84,1.88, and 1.92 for 4-8 handed hands.

John
Old 08-14-2005, 03:41 AM

This means your opponent hates money.