Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 12:53 PM

Default I donked off my chips didn\'t I??

O.K. I had nightmares about this hand as i was playing GREAT poker up until this hand.

Hour 2 of the 3+.30 pokerstars and i am in 30th out of the remaining 400...180 paid so i am still playing solid poker when this hand occurs with a player that had open raised from 1st position with small suited cards twice and re-raised with rags (he showed the table for free) once pre-flop.

PokerStars Game #2862299866: Tournament #13822785, Hold'em No Limit - Level VII (100/200) - 2005/10/22 - 01:14:25 (ET)
Table '13822785 21' Seat #3 is the button
Seat 1: AfraidKnot (5687 in chips)
Seat 2: Milkman98155 (8088 in chips)
Seat 3: jmc-chess (3280 in chips)
Seat 4: raisinghell (6635 in chips)
Seat 5: FriedTomato (7446 in chips)
Seat 6: A!Abear (2375 in chips)
Seat 7: Emon96 (10103 in chips)
Seat 8: BrianC14 (18027 in chips)
Seat 9: MajorLeauger (1316 in chips)
AfraidKnot: posts the ante 25
Milkman98155: posts the ante 25
jmc-chess: posts the ante 25
raisinghell: posts the ante 25
FriedTomato: posts the ante 25
A!Abear: posts the ante 25
Emon96: posts the ante 25
BrianC14: posts the ante 25
MajorLeauger: posts the ante 25
raisinghell: posts small blind 100
FriedTomato: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Emon96 [Th Ah]
A!Abear: folds
Emon96: raises 400 to 600
BrianC14: folds
MajorLeauger: folds
AfraidKnot: folds
Milkman98155: raises 800 to 1400
jmc-chess: folds
raisinghell: folds
FriedTomato: folds
Emon96: calls 800
*** FLOP *** [8h 4s 8s]
Emon96: bets 2400
Milkman98155: raises 2400 to 4800
Emon96: raises 3878 to 8678 and is all-in
Milkman98155: calls 1863 and is all-in

Thanks
Old 10-22-2005, 01:03 PM

Default Re: I donked off my chips didn\'t I??

Yes is the answer i think. Get out pf while you can
Old 10-22-2005, 01:09 PM

I don't mind the preflop bet since if you get called, you can make a pretty good hand of it on the flop but you shouldn't have called the raise. I can't see many hands here that you are ahead off. Get out of the hand there.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:11 PM

I think you are effected to much by his showing junk.

The preflop raise is OK, but folding or limping is more standard from early position.

You have an easily dominated hand and should probably fold to the preflop reraise. True you have good odds, but villain may be pricing you in with a big pair.

Betting out almost pot with nothing on the flop is aggressive. You could check to the raiser. What hand are you representing?

You have to fold to the reraise on the flop. If villain had any halfway legitimate reraising hand he is ahead. He is pot committed, so he is definately not folding to a push.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:15 PM

This hand is an example of horrible poker.. so the answer is yes you donked your chips off... hardcore!

ATs likes to see flops pretty cheap and look to make a good hand. I don't really like the raise preflop since if your called or raised your in bad position with a hand that is likely to be dominated. Also by raising you're going to have to play a big pot OOP.

I don't care who this reraise came from unless he is a complete maniac you're setting yourself up for a major downfall.

Preflop you should have folded to his raise... you didn't.

On the flop, you look to take the pot hoping he has AK or a similar hand and will fold to your bet... he didn't.

Instead he now puts in over half of his remaining stack telling you he has a big hand and is going to the felt with it. You should fold here... you didn't. Even if he had AK, AQ, AJ... he's still beating you.

Now you move in over the top and ask him if he would like to take your chips for free... he says yes and I'm guessing he does.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:21 PM

Thus the nightmares....he showed two nines (who cares what color) and stole my almost 2 hours of solid poker that i had learned from HOH and 2+2. Thanks for the response betgo, you and ExitOnly seem to always give nice constructive criticism to DONKS like meself.

Thanks
Old 10-22-2005, 01:22 PM

He may have been open raising with junk, but this time you're open raising with a marginal hand and he's popped you back. Even a LAG that opens with 97s UTG probably has something of a hand when he reraises someone that opened in EP. I think his minraise on the flop is enough to let you know that you're in really bad shape, get out while you can.

I probably open fold this PF, because ATs isn't a hand I want to be playing UTG+1 at a full table, even with the fairly deep stack that you have. I'd be much more inclined to play T9s in this spot opposed to ATs or even AJs, but that's just me.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:40 PM

I usually never do this but since you mentioned HOH go back and read page 183. "Ace ten suited in early position is a very marginal <font color="red"> </font> hand. At a tough table, I would often just throw it away. At a table of feebs, I'd limp"
Old 10-22-2005, 01:44 PM

I realize i gave me chips away here....but isnt the key phrase "at a tough table"? I didn't make this move against a rock or a normal TAG, but against someone who had shown the ability to raise and re-raise with junk. Once again, i admit to being a generous ATM in this case, but against this player.....grrrrrrr.(Nightmares repeating)
Old 10-22-2005, 02:37 PM

Plays like yours are what LAG's live for. He re-raises garbage and shows you garbage so that you will play back at him when he's got a hand. He knows that people are opening up against him, and so it is profitable (very profitable, in this case), for his to call down your likely semi-bluff with a medium pair in the pocket. LAG's feed off of loose action- don't open up against them with marginal hands out of position, just play solid hands well when you're in position and let them come to you.