Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 05:54 PM

Default go for overcalls or raise?

Don't have significant stats on these players, but I had a strong feeling that button would bet the river here, giving me the chance to checkraise. when should I donk bet the river here? when should i go for the checkraise? and when should I let button bet and just smooth call? What do I do here?

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, CO folds, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

River: (8.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero ?
Old 10-16-2005, 05:59 PM

Default Re: go for overcalls or raise?

Lead the river. If you c/r you're probably only winning 2 bets and sometimes you whiff. If you lead you'll likely get a call and an overcall. I see you making 2 bets minimum if you lead. Sometimes all 3 might call and you win 3 bets. Sometimes you might even get raised and win more.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:00 PM

i fold preflop

i don't checkraises rivers very often and very rare without reads. Bet the river
Old 10-16-2005, 06:03 PM

how thinking are the opponents? I like a donk bet here as you may get a callers and a button raise. If you check and it gets checked through you vomit; if you check and button bets you may not get the overcallers.

I like the donkbet, call, fold, raise, 3-bet scenario.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i fold preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a mistake getting 9:1 with a passive field
Old 10-16-2005, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i fold preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a mistake getting 9:1 with a passive field

[/ QUOTE ]

It's actually kind of close, but according to an Andrew Prock analysis, you're profitable at 13:1 with unsuited connectors and they're playable at 11:1 if you're willing to make some loos(er) calls. Entity had a thread about this awhile ago in SS I think, jason_t said something about it before as well, I only briefly read it. I'd probably complete with this, but I think it's very close and dependent on the players.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how thinking are the opponents? I like a donk bet here as you may get a callers and a button raise. If you check and it gets checked through you vomit; if you check and button bets you may not get the overcallers.

I like the donkbet, call, fold, raise, 3-bet scenario.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think they're thinking much. mainly playing their cards w/o bluffing. i think donking is best now as others mentioned. in the hand it got checked around to the button who bet his Q8 2-pair. i checkraised and only button called.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in the hand it got checked around to the button who bet his Q8 2-pair. i checkraised and only button called.

[/ QUOTE ]

which was the most likely occurence c/ring there; if you're gonna check to the button, you're better off calling and hoping for 1 or 2 overcalls rather than check-raising as even the dopiest player is unlikely to call 2 cold on the river (as opposed to leading their set/2pair).

Ah well, lessons learned and all. I'm still working up my roll to play 2/4 and 3/6 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

gl,
Pete Harris