Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2004, 04:21 AM

Default Betting strategy for O8B with an extra blind and 1/2 Kill

I am wondering about the correct strategy for the O8B game at my local club. They play 4-8 with a $2 small and a $4 big blind to the left of the dealer (nothing special there). The club's rake is taken from the button -- a mandatory $3 bet (the amount taken from this bet depends on the number of players). However, the button gets credit for the $3 bet regardless of how much the house takes -- thus there are three blinds -- small, big, and the 'medium' blind on the button. They also play this game 1/2 Kill, so whenever there is a scooped pot over $40, there is a mandatory $6 blind from the scooper. This can be in addition to the already present small, big, and medium (if the previous hand's scooper doesn't inherit one of the blinds).

My question is this -- What would be the proper adjustment to a sound O8B strategy given that 3 blinds are always present and sometimes there are 4 blinds (and the stakes increase by 50% for those hands).

One thought would be to play fewer hands, but almost always raise pre-flop if I'm going to play. That way I'm playing the best hands for more money since I'm going to lose a fair amount by chucking three hands per round (in the blinds) when the flop doesn't help. With the preflop raise, I would also have a chance to steal more pots if the flop comes pure garbage, having already represented strength -- but is trying to steal blinds in O8B a worthwhile endeavor with THREE or FOUR blinds out there?!? Isn't somebody sure to make a hand even with a garbage flop?

Regarding the 1/2 Kill Bet: How do the FOURTH blind and the increased stakes affect a normal O8B strategy (and the adjusted strategy for this 3 blind game)? Should you limp in with mediocre to good hands hoping to outflop the four blinds if nobody else plays the hand?

Or is the correct strategy to find a card club that doesn't deal this game and avoid the mess altogether?
Old 01-22-2004, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Betting strategy for O8B with an extra blind and 1/2 Kill

quick thoughts:
I'd tighten up when not in the blinds (mainly looking scoopers, maybe devalue A2-only hands) and loosen up a LOT when in the blinds, unless everyone is going A2, A3 for low.

High only hands might have a better return than normal

I would not always raise, either- mix it up so they can't bluff you off a hand when a big pot is out there, nor put you on a big hand when you do have one.

As to the "find a better game" comment- depends on your opponents more than the game structure.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Betting strategy for O8B with an extra blind and 1/2 Kill

i don't see how you should play less hands because there is more money in the pot to begin with. but the real question is, how are the others playing? in a loose game, you should probably just consider the extra money in the pot an incentive to play more hands and see what comes on the flop, but draw only to the nuts since more people will be in the pot. in a tighter game, i agree with your strategy to raise most of the time you come in, because you want to get the blinds out and take control of the hand.