Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2004, 02:02 AM

Default Limp KK UTG Pty 2/4

I get KK UTG and decide to just call. Luckily for me 6 others decide to enter the pot along with me. Flop comes 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Seems rather safe.

BB Checks then I check. Hand gets Checked around and the CO Bets followed by a Button and BB Call. I Re-raise the CO re-raises and the other two fold. I decide to cap..should I have just called?? The guy is new to the table and I have no read on him.

The Turn brings the T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] where I bet and he calls. The river brings Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and I bet again and he calls.

He turns over J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] for the flopped two pair. I would like to think a raise on the turn or river would have made me lay this down and I was thinking I had to be beat but I couldnt check-fold on that turn or river. Did I play this over aggresivly post flop or was I too passive preflop or was it the deadly combo of the two.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:05 AM

Default Re: Limp KK UTG Pty 2/4

bet the flop.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:08 AM

Too passive preflop. A preflop raise may very well have gotten J8s to fold. This is why limping big pairs is bad.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Too passive preflop. A preflop raise may very well have gotten J8s to fold. This is why limping big pairs is bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

this too. limping monster hands preflop at these lower limits will not help you any. most of the time, playing your hands straight up is the best way to go.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:13 AM

I limp KK all the time, so it isn't my place to tell you to raise preflop.

I like the flop c/r FWIW.

Brad

<font color="white">Raise preflop </font> [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2004, 08:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I get KK UTG and decide to just call. Luckily for me 6 others decide to enter the pot along with me.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you limp UTG with a hand like AA or KK, what you really want to happen is for someone to raise behind you (preferably in late position, after others have already limped) so that you can 3-bet when it gets back to you. You win fewer pots with this strategy than you would just raising up front (which will likely limit the field somewhat), but the pots you do win should be bigger. When you get tricky with big hands preflop, you just have to accept that it's a risky strategy and you may lose a pot you would've won otherwise.

I hardly every limp-reraise and I don't really recommend doing it much at a low limit table, but it can be a good strategy at a tight table or at a table where a maniac is to your left who usually raises if no one else has but just calls otherwise (and it's good for your limp-reraise plan if no one is respecting the maniac's preflop raises).

[ QUOTE ]
He turns over J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] for the flopped two pair. I would like to think a raise on the turn or river would have made me lay this down . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

If he had raised the turn and you had folded, it would have been a bad fold, given the cards the two of you had. From what I can gather, there would have been about 11 BB's in the pot (if your opponent raised the turn), and you have 7-8 outs (any 4 and any T would have given you a better two pair on the river, and any non-spade king would've given you a winning set).
Old 12-28-2004, 09:57 AM

Raise pre-flop. Such is the risk-reward of limping monster hands pre-flop.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:08 AM

Limp reraising is fine if theres a high chance of a raise from elsewhere. You got to have the good read on the table though.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I get KK UTG and decide to just call. Luckily for me 6 others decide to enter the pot along with me. Flop comes 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Seems rather safe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats not lucky. Thats bad luck.
If you raise, the pots size is equivalent with 3 players calling. Less people = greater chance to win roughly same amount of $$.

I'm not saying never to limp-re-raise but I think it heavily depends on table tecture. It should not be automatic.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats not lucky. Thats bad luck.
If you raise, the pots size is equivalent with 3 players calling. Less people = greater chance to win roughly same amount of $$.

[/ QUOTE ]

He would have been really lucky if he raised and got 6 callers.