Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2005, 11:28 PM

Default Anyone else making a stone cold bluff here?

Party 1-2.
Folded around to me in the cutoff. I raise with A-8s.
Button folds. SB calls. BB 3 bets. I call, sb calls. Flop comes down 10-5-2 all clubs. (9 small bets)

SB checks immediately. BB takes a long time, and then bets. I raise immediately. SB folds. BB's action...

BTW, I don't really make plays like this unless the circumstances are screaming at me, saying "TAKE IT DOWN"
Even then, I don't often make plays like this because I usually think that even if they have AJ of hearts,or 2 red fours, they'll call.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:32 PM

Default Re: Anyone else making a stone cold bluff here?

[ QUOTE ]
BB takes a long time

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't really put any stock in that since BB might have just been experiencing technical difficulties or somesuch.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:45 PM

Or pausing to contemplate whether he should bet or check his made hand...

Mike
Old 06-05-2005, 07:39 AM

Like always, it depends.
At some tables you start out winning quite a few pots by showing down the goods. That is usually great for bluffing in future hands.
At some tables you get caught bluffing a few times and people start calling you down or checkraising with anything decent. That's when I slow down and stop bluffing completely for awhile.

At the first table I would consider raising the flop, at the second table I would not.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:45 AM

Mr. Sexton,
You do realize that your opponent's most likely holding at this juncture is a made flush? I'm only estimating, but I believe you have about a 0% chance to draw out on that particular hand. I strongly advise a FOLD on this particular flop. But if you want to fall right into the big blind's trap and bluff your whole stack away, raising is probably the correct play.

I don't think you're going to make "the final table" of the Party 50 very soon using this strategy.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:52 AM

Simple answer is...you took your shot and missed. You have nothing at this point. What do you see that could possibly be +EV about going forward with either a raise or a call in this situation? Fold and move on.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SB checks immediately. BB takes a long time, and then bets. I raise immediately.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's say BB bet because he has a PP, and/or a single club. He feels his hand is weak and the flop scared him. After he thinks for a sec he figures he will bet as he either has the one club and can improve or he has the PP.

So your raise is not a effective bluff in this case. He will call as he wants to see another card with this type of hand. And don't forget he 3 bet the flop. They (fish) start to think they have to stay in the pot when they have put so much money in.

Ok let's say BB has overcards and no clubs. He realizes he hates this flop. He thinks for a sec and figures I will bet and the preflop raiser will fold and give me the pot? Unlikely to say the least.

So your raise is a effective bluff in this case. But this is the least likely of the 3 to occur imo.

Let's say BB bet because he has a floped the flush. He feels his hand is strong and he wants money. After he thinks for a sec he figures he will bet as anyone with a large PP or a lone club will call his bet and he wants money.

So your raise is not a effective bluff in this case. He will call the bet.

Now what I like to do is call the flop bet. If the SB raises I fold. If the turn comes a 4th club and it goes check, check, to me I bet I fold if reraised. If the turn comes a different suit and it goes check, check, I bet and fold to a raise. If the turn comes and the SB or the BB bet out I fold.

By waiting for the turn to make a play at the pot I get extra chances to increase the power of my bluff. The SB might fold to the flop bet, this would be ideal as it is easier to bluff one player.

Also if the extra card is a scare card to these players they will fold easier. If they don't have any clubs or their sole club is a small one they might muck facing a turn bet. If the extra card is a blank and they have a sole club they might get cheap on the turn and check to me. So my bet looks like dam he had 2 clubs and he wants money in the pot. They might fold if they are weak tight and their club is a small one. Need reads to do this.

I'm not making this play everytime in this situation, just when I have seen these players are the types that KNOW how to fold. Some types can not be convinced and will call down with any 2 cards, just fold the flop in that case and love that they are at your table. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Btw I don't bet the turn if the card is a K,Q, or J as trips are very possible.

Not saying this is the right way to play it but I had fun thinking it through and would like to hear how wrong my ideas are. I do play this way however beleive it or not. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]