Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2004, 07:09 AM

Default Slowplaying In Stud?

I play in a loose passive, microlimit, stud game on the internet. Slowplaying seems a waste of time. If I have trips wired or a pair of Aces for starter cards I charge everyone the full price. You get so many callers that you have to narrow the field at every opportunity. Moreover, trips are not invincible. If you do not make a boat then there is no guarantee that you will win the pot.

Do not get me wrong. Heads up or when the opponents seem particularly weak (they are all showing the same doorcard) then I may slowplay but aside from these exceptions there does not seem to be much reason to slowplay.

There is little reason to slowplaying the later streets as the opposition is willing to be charged to make its hands and if they do hit then you will get all the action you could desire and if they miss they will fold being loose passives, as opposed to bluffing, so there is no reason not to bet into them.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:36 AM

Default Re: Slowplaying In Stud?

I think you have it right. Slowplaying is not worth it against such players. but you are not trying to limit the field! you want as many callers as possible with trips. a high pair is a different story but you would always raise with them in this game anyway, right? slowplaying aces is probably one of the biggest mistakes you can make in a game like this.

Pat
Old 05-12-2004, 09:15 AM

A raise usually does two things: it gets more money in the pot and it narrows the field. When I say narrow the field I want to knock out the straight and flush draws so my trips have a chance of standing up unimproved.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:47 AM

So, Whats your question?
Old 05-12-2004, 05:25 PM

Im also playing in the low-limit stud games at PartyPoker and I have observed a curious phenomen when I raise my hands at third street (big pair, big live flush). In most of these very loose games, the other players will call your raise as if it was the bring-in, and It will in fact tie them to the pot after that because he is now a big one.

After that they will almost all call a bet on fourth street, and some of them will eventually fold on 5th because they have really nothing. I tried to do some check-raise, but they will usually just check around after my raise or bet in the previous round. Another problem is that I'm sometimes betting into a better hand without knowing it when someone catch an ace to make his pair of Aces with his starting 8A9. I dont want to give a free card, and being loose passive, they will usually just call if they have only one pair, even if its a big one.

Is there a way to knock them out or you just have to hope your big pair (or two pair the one time in ten you get it [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img])will hold ?

- In the better side when you make your four flush or big trips, do you want them to call ?
Old 06-03-2004, 11:25 PM

Yes, you *generally* want to them call because more often than not you're going to win the pot- especially with a really live four to a flush with a face card.

If they stay in and draw out, just eat it knowing they usually won't in those situations.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:41 PM

And to Raven's question before that, yes you pretty much have to hope the live high pair holds up/improves if you can't bet out the people chasing with nothing. Just be happy you've come in with an edge in the loose-passive race to 7th.

As you probably realize, you hope it improves to at least two pair. You of course have to be extremely careful and selective about how long you stay in and especially when you elect to show down with a single high pair because naturally it will very often end up outdrawn. It will do the trick a lot more often short handed, though.