Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2005, 11:23 AM

Default Some hands from around the button

Ok I dont like my blind defense right now.

Paradise Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 3.66 BB

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero folds.

Heads up steal and I folded with the following:

A8o
A5o
Q6o
J9o
T9o
rest junk

mistakes?

To steal from Late position:

Should you steal with anything above
PP
suited connectors
JT
Q9
K9
AXs
-SFWUSC
Old 05-17-2005, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Some hands from around the button

[ QUOTE ]
Ok I dont like my blind defense right now.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't either!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

Paradise Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter
Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Flop: (4.33 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter
Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Flop: (4.33 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW - If I was the CO in either of those two hands, with those two flops - I'd be raising your flop lead every single time with any two cards. I think leading into the CO on those two hands looks really, really weak!!

If these hands are from the same table and you think that CO has a good read on your blind weakness I would definitely pick a spot to play back at him. Either (A) wait until you have a good hand/flop something or (B) pick a hand/flop and employ a strong line against his steal. Option (B), IMO, never involves leading a street until you've checkraised the previous street (i.e. either c/r flop and lead the turn or c/r the turn, lead the river).

[ QUOTE ]

A8o - UGH
A5o - UGH
Q6o - standard
J9o - optional
T9o - optional
rest junk - standard

PP - Yup
suited connectors - optional
JT - Yup
Q9 - optional
K9 - Yup
AXs - Yup

[/ QUOTE ]

To summarize - blind stealing/defense in highly opponent dependent.

Stealing - If the blinds (button) are tight you can steal with a lot wider range of hands. If they're loose and/or aggressive you probably want to wait for more premium hands with better showdown value.

Defending - Against a loose and/or aggressive stealer you can defend with a wider range of hands. If the stealer is the type that will fold to post-flop aggression then I would definitely through in some PF 3-bets along with flop and turn check-raising. Against a passive CO/Button raiser you may want to be a bit more selective in the hands you defend with as these players are probably raising with premium hands where they would just do their typical PF limp with marginal/weak hands.

Hope it helps.... or some better players will correct my poor advice....
Old 05-17-2005, 12:04 PM

Why not 3 bet 66 in hand 2?
Old 05-17-2005, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not 3 bet 66 in hand 2?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not 3-bet KTo in hand 1?

I think that either hand could be played with a raise or a smooth call - depending on what the opponent plays like (no read) and what Hero was planning to do post-flop (no info).
Old 05-17-2005, 12:45 PM

Well, in these two hands your "blind defense" consists of calling pre-flop then taking a stab on the flop. Even players with junk will take advantage of this. Try 3 betting pf more and leading the flop, check-raising flops and leading turns, etc.

Really, blind stealing situations are very read/player dependant.

If I strongly suspected a steal I'd be 3-betting those aces. I don't blame you for ditching the others.

As for what to steal with, really, whatever they let you is fine. Ideally you'd like to have a hand with some SD value, an ace, PP, but my range of hands is much wider and often, if the blinds are tight the cards just don't much matter. (Best is when you steal with trash hit a hige hand and show it down. Of course, then you've got to tighten up. But if you can get cards you stand to have a very good session.)

Also, don't be afraid to "steal" from non-steal spots. If the blinds are tight, you should consider playing more hands to raises against them. Don't get carried away with this in EP, but in LMP and even sometimes in MP, if you're playing with rocks you shouldn't always confine your steals to the CO or button.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:23 PM

I usually check-fold the first flop. I like both check-calling and check-raising better than betting out.
You are pretty much begging to get raised on a drawy board like this.

Same applies to the next hand, this time you beat alot of hands though and want to protect your hand, so check-raise. Not taking his autobet is just weird.

[ QUOTE ]

A8o
A5o
Q6o
J9o
T9o
rest junk

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are sure itīs a steal than you can defend all but Q6o, thatīs still too weak.

[ QUOTE ]

PP
suited connectors
JT
Q9
K9
AXs

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I do in 6 max:

Any pair 44 and above usually from CO, sometimes 22-33. Any suited Ace is good here and it isnīt close, often raise it earlier when the players behind are right.
98s and above pretty much always and like before, you can go lower against the right players.
Any 2 ten or higher. K9 is close, A8 is somewhat close, but usually plays. Down to A6 if the situation is right, I fold A7-A6 most of the time though.

On the button you can open very light as you are sure to have position all the hand.
Any ace, any pair, K7 or so, Q8, J8, 98, Kxs, many suited Queens, decent suited Jacks, most suited connecters/1-gabbers, T7s or so.

Most of your decisions in late position and the blinds for that matter should depend on who your most likely opponents will be after the flop.