Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2005, 01:29 PM

Default Vegas this weekend - question about \"hip\" clubs.

I'll be in Vegas this weekend, playing poker during the days. My buddy put himself in charge of "night life" and is in the process of getting us all line passes for Ra and Rain. My question is - are these clubs worth the time/trouble?
Old 03-22-2005, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Vegas this weekend - question about \"hip\" clubs.

Tell your pal to have fun and play poker at night. I've found the games to be better as the moon rises.

Also - Post a trip report in NVG when you get back. I'll be out there in 10 days.

Rain (it's at the Palms) is supposed to be the best club for young 20 somethings... so I hear. No actual experience going there though. I believe Ra is also one of the better clubs in vegas for the young crowd, but I can't remember anything about it off hand.

I've been to Rain it was a little overrated, I was in Rio (forget the name) and MGM Grande (studio 54) on fri/sat night last month and there was some SERIOUS talent but I never went inside the clubs.

in my opinion the graveyard shift is much better for poker, but you didn't ask.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:49 PM

Yeah, I know the poker at night is better...but I am going with less die-hard players than myself, and I don't want to completely ditch them. I guess I will have to compromise and go to a club at least one night. But man, do I ever hate techno.

And yes, I will be sure to post a trip report when I return.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:54 PM

Bring trendy/classy threads and expect to wait to get into either of these places. If you have women with you I would think you'd get in quicker.

One thing these clubs don't want is a lot of this:
Old 03-22-2005, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bring trendy/classy threads and expect to wait to get into either of these places. If you have women with you I would think you'd get in quicker.

One thing these clubs don't want is a lot of this:

[/ QUOTE ]

The line (VIP) passes supposedly push you to the front of the line. At $40/pop (face value - I would never pay it, we are getting them for free) they better get you in!

Bring ladies to Vegas? Ah, no...
Old 03-22-2005, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Bring ladies to Vegas? Ah, no...

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't bring them with you, the key is to find them there...jeez.

If you're going to go to any of these clubs, you should know that already.

Good hunting.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:43 PM

I will be out there this weekend. I go out to Vegas proobably 4-5 times a year and have been to just about all of them. It depends on what you are looking for? Rain is full of young drug laced kids getting sick and dancing to trendy trance style music.. maybe I caught a bad night and I have heard Ra is good (just never made it). I much prefer GhostBar (top of Palms) which is a late 20's to mid 30's crowd with lots of hotties. Light (Bellagio) is cool, Rum Jungle (Mandalay) is good, Voodoo (Rio) has good live music, Venus (Venetian) is quite trendy, V-Bar (Venetian) has a good lounge atmosphere, Tabu (MGM) is very high end and good, Studio 54 (MGM) is very good and a lot of fun... hope this helps.. I have been to more just can't remember all of them. You can usually tell the good ones by the cover charge. Good luck at the tables and with the ladies. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-22-2005, 04:05 PM

If you want to avoid techno or all house music Studio 54 in the MGM is the place to go. The crowd is slightly older but the place really gets wild around 1:00. Other favorites are Rum Jungle, Drai's (after hours) and Rain.

BTW, because of the lines you really can only do one club per night. In all locations the trick is too get in line early around 10:00, get your hand stamped then leave until 12:00 when the places start to get full. I would recommend drunkens craps with your friends to kill time.

I go to Vegas every year with friends that don't play poker and end up playing with the daytime rocks or late night stragglers after I sober up - don't worry about it - Vegas has so much more to offer than just poker!!!