Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 05:24 AM

Default Best poker room in the USA?

By best, I mean the biggest and most active. I went to AC for the first time a few weeks ago and was rather surprised by the size of the poker rooms I saw at the Taj and Ballys. Before those, the only one I'd seen was at Foxwoods. Is Foxwoods the best you can find on the east coast? How about the country?
Old 07-19-2005, 08:11 AM

Default Re: Best poker room in the USA?

[ QUOTE ]
Is Foxwoods the best you can find on the east coast? How about the country?

[/ QUOTE ]
lol...I can only think of a few that I have been to that are WORSE. I personally like Borgata and Tropicana in AC.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:18 AM

If you meant biggest and most active why didn't you say that? Best does not mean biggest and most active.

Foxwoods is the largest room on the East Coast and I think The Bicycle and Commerce are the largest rooms on the West Coast.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:32 AM

commerce = biggest poker room in the world
Old 07-19-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol...I can only think of a few that I have been to that are WORSE.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's so bad about it? I don't doubt you, I'm just curious.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lol...I can only think of a few that I have been to that are WORSE.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's so bad about it? I don't doubt you, I'm just curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Dealers don't keep their own tips and so have little incentive to provide good service. They're slow, sometimes rude, and generally don't know squat about poker. I may trust 1 in a 100 to read an omaha hand correctly.

2. Their rules and procedures seem designed to slow the game down. Cash doesn't play. No chip runners. Leads to a stream of rack fills. Also, cashout is extremely slow as there is usually a line and the cashiers have to break down every freakin' stack, seems like.

3. Floor people are pretty clueless about poker and catering to customers. I remember playing in a shorthanded green chip game one morning and the rack was filled with red chips. The floor person unnecessarily decided to 'do us a favor' and change all the red chips in the rack to green chips. To do that, he made the dealer break down every stack of red chips before putting them in the rack to be taken away. The whole excercise took 20 minutes and people got sick of waiting and left. Broke the game. I came back later that day and saw that the rack at the table was full of red chips again.

4. They refuse to reserve any tables for the bigger games, so that often times when enough players gather to want to play say 75/150 or bigger, there are no tables. Before long, people get sick of this and don't bother showing up anymore. These days, outside of tournament time, you will almost never find anything bigger than 20/40 except for maybe one or two 75/150 stud games. Not a good situation for what is the biggest poker room on the east coast.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you meant biggest and most active why didn't you say that? Best does not mean biggest and most active.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree Biggest!=Best. But I don't (personally) care about biggest. What do you guys think is best?

To clarify, by "best", we just mean "most good". [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] What's your favorite?

I like the Bellagio room a lot. Seemed to be the classiest I've seen, but I've only really played in NV and MS.
-Sam
Old 07-19-2005, 05:55 PM

i think the bike is hands down best in the country (that i have been in anyways so that cuts down the sample size a bit).

Great selection of games, good circulation, and fantastic tableside subsidized menu featuring all ethnic food categories. Also tableside massage by cute girls.

Gets my vote....only downside is last time i was there (2 years ago) waitlist was all chalkboard style hand written, not computerized yet.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:04 PM

Yeah, but they don't play big enough at the bike.

Commerce is the best. Nothing comes even close. Good food. Best choice of games/stakes. Well run. Good fast dealers. Only thing I don't like about CA rooms is that floor people can be bribed. This is one improvements the East coast rooms have made: that floor people cannot accept tips.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:21 PM

Everyone knows that the El Cortez (Vegas) is the best poker room in the USA.

It's a no-brainer. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]