Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 11:10 AM

Default ADVICE ON HOW TO PLAY AMATURES WHO CALL ALL IN WITH K9 PREFLOP? HELP!!

I play headsup with an "amature" poker friend who is very cocky and, for example, will call a preflop reraised all in with very bad hands (K10, Kj, A8) and, having asked him, he knows he is probably behind, yet likes the call!!!!?
The problem comes when he wins by playing this way.
He will raise 3 x BB with Q 5
I think you will tell me to "play ABC poker" or some variation, but its impossible.
I cannot bluff either since he calls with [censored].
EG = He raise preflop with Q 8
Flop = Q 9 9
I check
He bets small
I reraise all in
There is not a lot in the pot, and this game is for £50
He calls quickly?!?!!?
I knew he would call in this instance, thats why i went all in. But these good happenings for me are rare and i am going to have to quit playing him and stick to online Heads Up. If you were wondering, i am not a bad HU player - I consistantly win against top online HU apponants.

Unless you guys can give me some SUPERB ADVICE?!!

This is not a bad beat post as i too hate. It is more of a wondering on how to play such poker amatures.

Thanks for your help
Old 06-21-2005, 11:18 AM

Default Re: ADVICE ON HOW TO PLAY AMATURES WHO CALL ALL IN WITH K9 PREFLOP? HE

starting hands in holdem run close in value pf
Old 06-21-2005, 11:34 AM

Default Re: ADVICE ON HOW TO PLAY AMATURES WHO CALL ALL IN WITH K9 PREFLOP? HELP!!

1. What is the structure/ game, i assume no limit texas holdem?

2. If you are getting all your money in when he has the worst hand then what is the problem?

3. If you don't understand 2.,basically you saying "The problem comes when he wins by playing this way",then how do you come to the conclusion that you can "consistantly win against top online HU apponants."

4. How do you know that these are "top online HU apponants"
Old 06-21-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Re: ADVICE ON HOW TO PLAY AMATURES WHO CALL ALL IN WITH K9 PREFLOP? HELP!!

HU is far different from ABC poker. Calling an all in w/top pair in that situation (Q55 with Q8) is a fairly good call if he has a good read.

Also, if he is raising you preflop with garbage, just CALL preflop with better hands, and let him bet into you the whole way, especially if you make a hand. He can lose a ton of chips really fast this way.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play headsup with an "amature" poker friend who is very cocky and, for example, will call a preflop reraised all in with very bad hands (K10, Kj, A8) and, having asked him, he knows he is probably behind, yet likes the call!!!!?
The problem comes when he wins by playing this way.
He will raise 3 x BB with Q 5
I think you will tell me to "play ABC poker" or some variation, but its impossible.
I cannot bluff either since he calls with [censored].
EG = He raise preflop with Q 8
Flop = Q 9 9
I check
He bets small
I reraise all in
There is not a lot in the pot, and this game is for £50
He calls quickly?!?!!?
I knew he would call in this instance, thats why i went all in. But these good happenings for me are rare and i am going to have to quit playing him and stick to online Heads Up. If you were wondering, i am not a bad HU player - I consistantly win against top online HU apponants.

Unless you guys can give me some SUPERB ADVICE?!!

This is not a bad beat post as i too hate. It is more of a wondering on how to play such poker amatures.

Thanks for your help

[/ QUOTE ]

How you play against these opponents is very simple. You claim he calls when he is behind. Anytime someone is behind, another person has to be ahead. Make sure you are that preson and you will win with time. Encourage his bad play and don't try bluff him out. Pretty much play ABC poker and exploit his mistakes.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:08 PM

Maybe your friend is a good poker player?
Old 06-21-2005, 01:42 PM

you just described the perfect player to play against.

Play ABC poker, I know thats not what you want to hear, but thats what you need to do. Dont bluff him, and put your chips in when you have the best of it, if he outdraws you, whoopity doo, in the long run he will be broke. If you arent winning with ABC poker, you are just playing bad ABC poker.

Not to diss you, but I SERIOUSLY doubt you consintantly win against top online opponents. From the tone of your post, I suspect you are mediocre at best. So I would forget about that ego, study like hell, post hands here, read, study, and then study some more.