Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 04:56 PM

Default Steam Control Suggestions

I've noticed a major flaw in my game is steam control. When I am under control, I play pretty well. When I'm out of control, I'm a mess. However, sometimes, when I am out of control, it is due to a fish winning a huge pot from me, or a personal challenge (ok, I have a bit of an ego problem). So I end up targeting one player or trying to punish players. The obvious answer is to stop playing when I am out of control. Often, it is too late before I realize it. I'd be willing to guess my winrate would double if I could limit my steaming to a reasonable level. This is a terrible personality trait for a poker player. I really want to improve this.

Anyone have any good suggestions on what it would take to exhibit better control? Taking breaks? Some kind of self-observations that would lead me to stop when I begin to leave control? Changing tables?

What do YOU do to make sure you stay in control? What do you do to observe that you are NOT in control and shouldn't be playing?
Old 04-13-2005, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Steam Control Suggestions

As has been said may times in this forum. React to the quality of your decisions, not to the results. If you made a decision that is +EV in the long run, take solace in the FACT that given the same circumstances over and over again your play will make you money in the long run.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:41 PM

"React to the quality of your decisions, not to the results. If you made a decision that is +EV in the long run, take solace in the FACT that given the same circumstances over and over again your play will make you money. "

I defy anyone to put it better than this.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:47 PM

Someone calling a flush draw without odds, and hitting against me isn't usually the trigger. It can be anything from machismo and smack talk to making a perfect read, putting out a bet, and getting called by something that defies logic.

If I push AK preflop in a tournament, and lose to AQ, that is not likely to put me on tilt.

Any other suggestions?
Old 04-13-2005, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"React to the quality of your decisions, not to the results. If you made a decision that is +EV in the long run, take solace in the FACT that given the same circumstances over and over again your play will make you money. "

I defy anyone to put it better than this.

[/ QUOTE ]

And to the question: But HOW do I do that? How do I prevent reacting to other things besides this? How do I stop myself from reacting to other things when I notice this is what I am doing? If it were as simple as "just do it" players would never let emotions factor into their game.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:19 PM

It is very difficult to control Steam, but if you buy him a really big steak, He usually falls asleep and then you don't have to worry about him for a few hours.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:33 PM

Default ROFL n/m

Old 04-13-2005, 07:20 PM

"or a personal challenge (ok, I have a bit of an ego problem). So I end up targeting one player or trying to punish players."

But seriously...

Most of us (winning players) are pretty smart people and we know it. This leads, almost by definition, to huge egos. Cultivate your humility, that should help. Punish players for the mistake(s) they are making in this hand, not what they did ten hands ago.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:19 PM

When I can't forget about a bad beat that just happened, then I know I'm steaming. If I'm still dwelling on it a few hands later then I know its time to quit for the day.

It's hard to quit when you know long term you will win at a table or you know you made the correct decisions. But for me its still best to just quit or take a few hours off.

If you're a steamer then I don't think you can learn how to control steam; it will just take experience.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:10 AM

If I'm mad with myself, I deliberately tighten up as much as possible until I'm calm again.

However, I'm lucky, I don't mind a bad beat if I played the cards right, I only get mad if I made a bad decision earlier in the hand (I even get annoyed myself about this when I win!)