Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2005, 11:39 PM

Default Imperial Palace

Quote from AllVegasPOker.com
[ QUOTE ]
Competition Rating: 5
These players are horrible!

The Imperial Palace poker room consistently has the easiest competition I have ever played against. In fact, the players are so bad that it has been tough for me to win there.

The players will call anything, and it's common for every single person to be in the pot. It's tough for hands like pocket jacks to hold up in a multi-way pot with 10 players. When I raise pre-flop, nobody folds.

The Imperial Palace hosts the kind of game that is perfect for a new to average player. However, when you have a better understanding of the game, you will out-think yourself and lose to the crazy beginner players that the Imperial Palace attracts.

The Imperial Palace is a great place for a beginner because the stakes are low and the competition is easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

The players can't be this bad, or are they? If so, this seems like the ultimate place to fish in Vegas, is it not? Or is Excalibur still better?
Old 05-08-2005, 11:50 PM

Default Re: Imperial Palace

Excalibur NL tables seemed like a mixed bag when I was there. Sometimes, you'd sit down with 3 knuckleheads that would pay off the rest of the table. Other times, it would be you and 9 other internet players who were all decent. Decent enough that, even if you were a bit better than them, it would be hard to beat the rake... and at the end of the night, the person walking away with the most money would likely be the one who just hit the most hands.

Maybe I had high expectations, but I expected poorer players than I saw. Oh well.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:17 AM

Gosh, LOTS of rooms like this @ 2-4. Like, most of
the 2-4 offered on the strip. GL in Vegas.......
Old 05-09-2005, 09:20 PM

not far off

the best is when the lessons are done at 11:30 and all the new people who just learned go to a table and play....hoo boy.

RB
Old 05-09-2005, 09:44 PM

The IP does hold 'em lessons each weekday around 11. However, they were understandably reluctant to let me join a table of new graduates, though eventually they relented. If you're really lucky, there might even be a slots tourney going on to bring in the drop-my-money-in-and-take-a-chance crowd, itching to try that poker thing they've seen on TV.

The comps at the IP, though, are tremendous (around $3/hr). If you don't want to play above $2/4, I highly recommend it.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:28 PM

Basically 3/6 and lower stinks, mainly due to the often BINGO-like play and the rake.

You pretty much need to catch cards or you will be a loser.

If coming to visit, I'd definitely recommend 1/2 NL instead, it's quite fishy, you'll know within 1 orbit where they are all at skill level wise usually.

I was playing today at MGM and watched a guy get up to close to 1000 at 1/2 NL, within the next 90 mins, he pissed it ALL away and reached for a rebuy!!!

He tried to pick me off, always had THE NUTS against the first 3 players he went OTT on the river against, they ALL called and they ALL left, he never busted another player after that. [Scared fishies away, and then because the biggest FISH of them all!!!!]

Add to it:
He had BO, maybe parts to 3 front teeth left, and a backpack with him. Hmmmmm!
But, then he whips out his CELL phone and he only ordered COKES to drink, very puzzling table image, I put him on a VERY OLD looking 55.

I digress...

Anyhow, the 1/2 NL is the place to be in Vegas, IMHO for low limit goodness.

>TW<
Old 05-10-2005, 12:45 AM

I would love to play some NL while in Vegas, since you can't get that here in MN and it I prefer it over limit.

You mentioned MGM had 1/2 NL, any other places with some low stakes NL that is swarming with fishes??
Old 05-10-2005, 03:18 AM

Excalibur isn't the place for fish anymore, i go often almost every weekend, sometimes even 2-3 times a week. There are often 7-8 locals at the table at all times and it's so tight that with the rake we all lose, and this is on weekends. Compared to when i played at the Rio there was uhm 3 locals i was up $250 in 10 mins, i think the IP spreads that 1-2 NL over there and if they do that's what you'd wanna play. They try to protect their fish, then again people have to take $$ from them eventually.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think the IP spreads that 1-2 NL over there and if they do that's what you'd wanna play.

[/ QUOTE ]

AllVegasPoker.com says that IP only has limit games, no NL. Is this inaccurate?

Ok, so seems IP is a good place for limit games, but that still leaves me looking for an aquarium that has NL. How about Alladin, AllVegas says that these players are horrible, but it also says that about Excalibur, is there info on Alladin player still correct? Also how about MGM?

I'm going to ask this, but I'm pretty I already know the answer... Mirage, Bellagio, Wynn, How are these players? Should I stay away? my predicted ansers: very good! yes!
Old 05-10-2005, 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
AllVegasPoker.com says that IP only has limit games, no NL. Is this inaccurate?

[/ QUOTE ]

The last time I was personally at the IP was probably 2-3 months ago. At that time, there was no regular $1/2 NL game being spread, but (like almost anywhere in Vegas), if there was enough interest, the room would spread a NL game.

These days, that may not be the case. A lot more rooms are consistently spreading the NL games. If anyone knows for sure whether IP is consistently spreading a NL game, then I'll definitely update the site.

p.s., regarding your original question, I still stand by my assessment of the competition at the IP. The players there are very, very bad.