Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-21-2005, 10:43 AM

Default Generating action in no-ante PL Stud.

With the games I'm playing having no ante, I'm looking into ways to create a bigger pot on 4th without losing customers. Currently, most pots are 4-handed, each player posting the bring in (in most situations that is), making a $1 pot on 4th, which I find, rightly or wrongly, hard to create a big pot from.

Considering that I'm forced to play like a rock (pairs, 3-flushes, 3-straights, trips and the occasional K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for example) I'm guessing that I often have the best hand on 3rd.

So it would make sense to get more money in the pot when I have a positive pot equity right?

Also, I've noticed that with bigger pots the villians are more inclined to chase their draws, even for bigger bets.

How do I go about this without folding out my
opponents?

At present i limp just about everything as there are no antes to steal, and betting 75c to win 25c doesn't appear to be a great idea. Raising results in most people folding, which I don't want, this could be because I limp so much and a raise therefore indicates alot of strength.

Is there any merit in raising every hand I play to create a bigger pot for the reasons above?

This would involve completing the bring in for 50c with any hand that I would play anyway.

Raising to 50c if I was first in with any hand I'd play (as this is the max raise 1st in after the bring in)

And raising to a fixed amount (as to not give away the strength of my hand), say $1 with every hand I play.

Ciaffone mentions in PL and NL Poker that raising flushes and straight is mathematically unsound, but could this be done to add deception to my game and possible set up a steal on 4th?

I will try a test run later to see how it all goes down.