Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2004, 06:37 PM

Default Help with 7-Stud Home Game Structure

I debated whether this should go in the home game forum... sorry if you disagree with my choice.

I have been invited back to a home game that has an unusual structure. For 7Stud Hi, it is $1-$2 spread limit on all streets. There is a $1 ante and no reduced bring-in. The 5 other players in the game are very loose, and it is not uncommon for all players to call $1 on 3rd street to see another card.

I did okay last time in this game, but I am pretty sure I am too tight for the high ante and loose players. Any suggestions on adjustments (starting hand strategy or otherwise) to maximize my winnings. I normally follow a "7-Stud per Roy West" strategy as best I can... I play a lot more hold-em than 7Stud, however.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Help with 7-Stud Home Game Structure

One question I forgot to add. Is this a winnable game with this poor structure? The players have very little clue, and are there to drink some beers.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:55 PM

Unless there is a high rake, and I'm guessing there's none at all, of course it's beatable. Your edge comes from getting away from hopeless hands earlier than your opponents, and from forcing edges that they don't. For example, you should be pushing live four-flushes on fourth and even fifth streets. A lot of players don't like betting without a completed hand.

I have just started reading Roy West's book for the first time. I'm only on page 36 right now, but my initial impression is that I could write a companion volume of approximately the same length where I blow holes in a lot of the things he says. Given that his advice is sub-optimal for the games he's writing about, you'd certainly need to make some adjustments for your game. I suggest reading 7CS4AP, focusing on the "Loose Games" section. You will need to play somewhat looser than you would in a game with a saner ante structure, but don't get carried away with it. The bottom line is that you're going to have to show down the best hand.

You might suggest that they use a more normal ante structure, possibly by raising the maximum bet to $5 or $10, by lowering the ante, preferably to a quarter, or, if people are married to the $1 and $2 units, having the dealer ante $1 or $2 for the whole table for the stud rounds.

I am all for drinking beer.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have just started reading Roy West's book for the first time. I'm only on page 36 right now, but my initial impression is that I could write a companion volume of approximately the same length where I blow holes in a lot of the things he says. Given that his advice is sub-optimal for the games he's writing about, you'd certainly need to make some adjustments for your game.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is why you will never see me recommend the West book these days. Not even to rank beginners.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-31-2004, 08:41 PM

I've been thinking about trying to write the stud equivalent to Ed Miller's book. Judging from comments I've seen on this board, I think I'd sell at least 10-20 copies. Anyway, a lot of what Ed wrote is in response to things written by Jones, et al. Not having read most of the books directed towards low-limit stud, I went out and bought West and Ashley Adams. I still haven't gotten around to wading through Othmer, even though I've had it for two or three years.

There are a number of posters here who swear by Roy West, and these include some folks whose opinions I respect. I'm sure that his book can turn someone into a modest winner, but there is a better book to be written.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:51 PM

andy i'd buy your book so make that 11-21 purchasers

this probably belongs in another thread but can you let me know which of his plays is sub-optimal? the reason i ask is that prior to getting it, i would say i was playing a lot looser and reading the west made me think about tightening up