Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2005, 04:30 AM

Default bizarre hand

Great 2/4 full ring game

3 people limp, I raise to $25 on the button. Only the CO calls.

Flop is 873 rainbow. CO checks, I bet $40, he takes a long time and calls.

Turn is 5. CO checks, I check.

River is 2. CO checks, I bet $60, CO takes a looooooong time and then raises to $250.

CO and I do not know each other at all. My line is different than how a typical player would play any legitimate hand in this particular game. So is his.

What's the worst hand you would call with? What range of hands would you put him on?
Old 06-19-2005, 05:09 AM

Default Re: bizarre hand

It is bizarre. I think your turn check confuses things.

If I'm the villain, you turn check could be read as an unimproved AK.

I would tend to think if the villain had a really strong hand, he would have made a value bet on the river.

I don't play that high a level, so I don't know if people play significantly differently, but I would think he also had a pocket pair and thinks you don't.

To also play devil's advocate:
One could argue that he might have been trying to induce a bet. I have to wonder if the pauses are significant. Has he done this before? (the long pause then bet is often the on-line equivalent of 'act weak when you're strong') I think, perhaps, the biggest question is does he always pause and if not, did you read it to have any meaning.

I would have bet the turn. If he called, and checked the river, I would have checked behind. If you bet the turn and he raised you, I would then feel more confident that he had real strength. The flop call, turn raise is so often a set.

I really think the turn check on your part really confuses things. Because it makes you look weaker which could make him think you don't have anything. AND its the street where he would usually better define his hand... you lost that.

Does that make sense?
Old 06-19-2005, 05:12 AM

As I mentioned in the first post, I know nothing about him. He is new to the table.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:33 AM

Right. I forgot.

I still stand by most of what I say. ie... the turn play confuses all the reads.

The way it played out, I'm inclined to put him on something like jacks.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:47 AM

This is really strange. I guess he have no reads about you either. If he have trips, can he really assume you will bet the river? strange... The bet looks like a steal, the pauses like a set.

Hmm, that long paus after the river -> i think he wants a call and therefore I would only call with a set.
Old 06-19-2005, 06:02 AM

I would fold. Your line to the river is fine I think vs. a decent to good player. Note that I would bet the turn more than 50% of the time, but I sometimes mix it up with your line.

However, I think he has a set and puts you on A K. Since he knows you wont call a value bet with A K, I think he is trying to induce one last bluff on the river. If he has an over pair, I doubt he will be raising the river as oppossed to check calling. He knows you arent gonna call with A K and he is hoping you have an over pair.

Also, the only hand you beat that could possibly play it like this and does not raise pre-flop is 9 9, maybe T T. I guess 9 6s is a possibility. However, I think he has a set often enough to justify a fold.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:25 AM

Yeah Id fall back on the old rule: if someone waits a long time then bets big theyre not bluffing.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:58 PM

Such a weird line, I'm calling with any overpair. I think that he probably has a busted draw, but he may have paired up at some point, so I wouldn't be happy calling with ace high. For instance, he might have 65. It simply is not believable that he would have played a made hand to check raise the river when you checked the turn through.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah Id fall back on the old rule: if someone waits a long time then bets big theyre not bluffing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was he multi-tableing? Could explain the delays. He could be experienceing an internet delay too.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Such a weird line, I'm calling with any overpair. I think that he probably has a busted draw, but he may have paired up at some point, so I wouldn't be happy calling with ace high. For instance, he might have 65. It simply is not believable that he would have played a made hand to check raise the river when you checked the turn through.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with all here. Except I would have a tough time putting him on anything less than AKs/o, AQs, and JJ. Would he be able to limp initially with 2 callers already with AA-QQ or limp then call 21 more with a small suited connector? Maybe I'm giving these stakes to much credit. Also, I don't really see how this is that weird of a line. He seems to read you as weak here. Like TWP said, it's not believable for him to check a made hand 3 times to you, especially with no reads. What makes him think you are going to bet the river since you made what appears to be an obvious continuation bet on the flop, cut your losses on the turn, then tried to steal with a weak bet on a card that couldn't have possibly helped you. But I may not be thinking on the same level as the two of you are, in which case forget everything I just said.

I would say call with any overpair or better and fold the rest. Would I do that? $250 seems enormous to me compared to my roll so it's hard to say....lol.