Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2005, 12:31 PM

Default Turbos

Hi -- Something that's been driving me crazy. What's the deal with the popularity of the turbo mtts and turbo sngs?. Often I want to play a sng and have to wait for one to fill up while two or three turbos fill up. Am I missing something here -- isn't success in these turbo tournaments linked much more to luck than to skill? Isn't it just gambling because it reduces the value of any skill that you may have by so much that it often negates it totally?

Same question, different situation: There are live tournaments near me (I live in FL so everything poker-related is lame)where you start with 2500 chips and blinds start at 25-50. Increase every 15 minutes>>50-100 next, third level 100-200, etc. So 31 minutes in, at the start of the third level, if you haven't made a move you have less than 12 bbs left. This is a total waste of my time and $$, right? (Or, again, am I missing something).

Thank you very much for any replies/thoughts on these types of tournies.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Turbos

[ QUOTE ]
isn't success in these turbo tournaments linked much more to luck than to skill?

[/ QUOTE ]

If poker wasnīt considered gambling by most players it wouldnīt be as lucrative as it is right now.

Best regards

Martin Aigner
Old 04-16-2005, 01:15 PM

True -- but, do you suggest staying away from turbos if I consider myself more skilled than the average player -- or is there a strategy to use that increases the value of skill and decreases the value of luck? Thanks.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:29 PM

Of course a better player still has an edge, but it will be a smaller one of course, and therefore it will be more profitable if you stick to the games which provide you the biggest edge.

I sometimes play these turbo SnGs satelittes at Stars simply for entertainement value. Although they arenīt too profitable, they are fun to play sometimes. Just a brainless cheap pushing & prayng game. The funniest part in these satellites is right before bubble time, where 70% of the field have hardly enough to cover both blinds and everybody is lagging horribly and hopes not to have to play any more blinds. This has nothing to do with poker, but I still consider it funny from time to time. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Best regards

Martin Aigner
Old 04-16-2005, 01:52 PM

I've found that the turbo SNGs (at stars specifically) are pretty soft. They run fast, and you get a lot of people playing marginal and less-than marginal hands trying to boost their chips before the blinds go up. These are the same people that are afraid on the bubble. Bubble play in these tends to be weak-tight unless a maniac has managed to make it to 4, and you can really take advantage. As for turbo MTTs, they're more of a crapshoot because you have to survive the escalating blinds longer to make the money.

The turbo SNGs on stars are better than those I've played on other sites...the blind structure and chip count just seems to work out for the turbo format. I pulled out of stars a while ago but just went back earlier this week. I've only played two $6 turbos to burn time before MTTs, but I've cashed 1st and 2nd in them.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:07 PM

At least with the 2-table SNG's, a turbo is done in 1 hour or less, and it's almost impossible to go any further than that due to the blinds. Non-turbo takes twice as long to reach the same blinds, so they can take up to 2 hours.

I think it's a time thing more than anything.. if you've only got an hour to play, you play something that will be done in that hour.