Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Folding top pair

BB is41/3.1/.5 after 220 hands, MP is 18/11/1.9 after 250 hands, and CO is 28/10/.5 after only 20 hands.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, MP calls.

Flop: (16.33 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, CO calls, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (10.16 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, CO folds, BB calls, Hero calls.

River: (13.16 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero folds, MP calls.

Final Pot: 15.16 BB
Old 11-18-2005, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Folding top pair

Flop looks like a fold despite the odds you're getting, but I'm not sure. Even when you pair up you're losing money too often I would imagine.

River looks good.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:04 PM

I'm confused as to why you wouldn't fold pre-flop if you intend to fold your hand if it hits.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:07 PM

I think this is a fold preflop, a fold on the flop, a bet/fold on the turn. River looks good.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm confused as to why you wouldn't fold pre-flop if you intend to fold your hand if it hits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, obviously that was my plan.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is a fold preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

Even getting 7:1, plus good implied odds if I get something really nice?

[ QUOTE ]
a fold on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting 19:1 closing the action? I would need about 2 outs.

[ QUOTE ]
a bet/fold on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking earlier that I didn't want to do that because I would have odds to draw, but I realize now that the paired 2s kill my Q outs vs AA or KK.

[ QUOTE ]
River looks good.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you do if MP bets and BB folds?
Old 11-18-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a fold on the flop

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true but vs. the range of hands that are likely out there how often do you have two outs? Even when you're not drawing dead to a huge pair I'd say it's too likely you're up against something like JJ and AQ and you're going to often pay off when you hit.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is you are almost always dominated. With QJs it would be closer, and I think most would say call. With QT I think it's over the line.
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

a fold on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

If there was a diamond on the flop maybe it's a call, but MP will have you drawing to runner runner often enough that when you factor in reverse implied odds your hand isn't worht 2 outs.

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

a bet/fold on the turn.

I was thinking earlier that I didn't want to do that because I would have odds to draw, but I realize now that the paired 2s kill my Q outs vs AA or KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly. I actually think it's a close decision between check/fold and bet/fold.

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

River looks good.

What do you do if MP bets and BB folds?

[/ QUOTE ]

I begrudgingly call.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is you are almost always dominated. With QJs it would be closer, and I think most would say call. With QT I think it's over the line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't QJs more likely to be dominated?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

a bet/fold on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly. I actually think it's a close decision between check/fold and bet/fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think we can check fold this, The pot is big, and we might be ahead of MPs 88, 99, AK. We also have 5 outs vs JJ.