Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2004, 08:43 PM

Default middle limit hold em poker by bob ciaffone

What do you players think about Middle Limit Holdem Poker by Bob Ciaffone?
Old 07-24-2004, 09:26 PM

Default Re: middle limit hold em poker by bob ciaffone

Personally, I have the book and have yet to read all the way through it, I've seen it recommended on this forum by many people. I would say it is a good compliment to HPFAP and definitely worth reading, he has many examples of hands throughout the book. I'm no expert and I only play .5/1 and 1/2 limit.
Old 07-25-2004, 06:58 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

weak/tight for today's games
Old 07-25-2004, 09:42 PM

Positive - it's nicely organized with lots of practice hands and helps teach you how to think through a hand. Negative - teaches weak/tight advice. I think once you have a firm footing in tight/aggressive play, then pick the book up. You'll learn some new things. However, expect to disagree with much of their advice. You'll be thinking raise, while they fold. If you can do that successful, you'll get enough out of the book. Otherwise, skip it if you'll fall into believing some of their advice.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:22 PM

Even I think a few of the recommended play to be a bit weak/tight. I'm a newbie, and far from a middle/high limit player though. But I'd like to recall that MM said in his review that the book contains too many folds for his liking.

If you're able to tell when the recommendations is a bit weak, the book should should be a good read though?
Old 07-26-2004, 12:12 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

yeah i think it's worthwhile if you take in the thought but don't necessarily make the actions
Old 07-26-2004, 04:23 PM

Ciaffone and Brier put together an extremely well written book that shows real examples that you will not find in any other written material. The tips and advice are concise and well thought out. The book also helps in reading the hands of your typical middle-limit players. It certainly is worth the investment as well as many other books out there. Make your own judgments on whether it is "too tight" or not. In the introduction of each chapter, C & B specifies that you may have to improvise and adjust to your local game based on the unique opponents. Keep this in mind and your game will definitely improve. Good luck.