Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 02:25 PM

Default 89s, I build big pots

SB is a tricky TAGish player, does some odd stuff.
BB is pretty LAGgy, the 50/30/3 variety
Button is unknown.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) hand converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, Button calls.

Flop: (16 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (16 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, SB calls.

River: (20 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls

What do we think?
Old 11-01-2005, 02:27 PM

Default Re: 89s, I build big pots

I would raise the river. I think the chance of him having some poorly played overpair is a lot higher than him having a flush.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:49 PM

hmm. Everything up until the river is ok. Preflop call is fine given that you're getting 7:1 or whatever on your money.

Folding is clearly out I would say. As for raising versus calling, the bb almost certainly doesn't have a boat I would say given his call on the river so my guess is you've got him. The SB is tougher to read because his preflop play indicates that he is unlikely to have the boat (unless he has jacks he probably wouldn't have one on this board) but his postflop play could indicate a 7 which gave him the boat. Also, his turn play pretty clearly shows that he shouldn't have jacks. My guess is that you're ahead of him.

If you're beaten you will get a raise or two after you but if he is tricky you should call a 3 bet from the sb. So if you're behind you lose a bet raising. If you're ahead you get either one or two bets more. Most likely you're ahead I would say so raise the river.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:17 PM

Wow, why are people telling you to raise? Obviously you can't fold but it's closer to a fold than a raise. SB has AsKs/AsQs/KsQs here basically always. Nothing else even remotely makes sense. And if he has one of these and has been paying attention he shouldn't have any trouble 3-betting if you raise. Calling is best by a lot.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:21 PM

don't think i like the flop check. a SB cold-cap flop check will scare a lot of people, and i don't think you can rely on an unknown button to bet this. rest is good though, raising this river isn't a good idea IMO.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
don't think i like the flop check. a SB cold-cap flop check will scare a lot of people, and i don't think you can rely on an unknown button to bet this. rest is good though, raising this river isn't a good idea IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point about the flop. I didn't read the action right. I like betting too.