Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2004, 12:24 AM

Default JJ hand early on - 10/1 SnG

10/1 sng on party
Second hand, so no reads
Everyone has very close to t800

Hero has J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] UTG+1

UTG folds, <font color="red"> Hero raises to t50 </font> , 4 folds, CO calls , Button folds, Blinds call

(Pot t200 - 4 players) Flop T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
SB checks, BB bets t60, <font color="red"> Hero calls t60 </font>,CO folds, SB calls t60

(Pot t380 - 3 Players) Turn K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="red"> Hero bets t50 </font>, SB folds, BB calls t50

(Pot t480 - 2 players) River 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB checks, <font color="red"> Hero bets t50... </font>

Any thoughts on what I could have done better? Comments on all streets appreciated.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:43 AM

Default Re: JJ hand early on - 10/1 SnG

Stop betting or calling really small amounts of chips for no apparent reason.

I would raise BB's bet to t250 and fold to any further action or a cold call behind.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:46 AM

obviously having reads is helpful but given that, i'd bet more on this turn with that size pot and i may check behind on the river and not worry too much about missing a value bet because it is just the second hand of the tourney and you don't want to get blown away by a c/r and totally mess you up for the rest of the tourney

but in actuality you should have probably raised the flop bet and hope to take it down right htere but fold to any further resistance.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stop betting or calling really small amounts of chips for no apparent reason.

I would raise BB's bet to t250 and fold to any further action or a cold call behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats your play if the BB calls that raise and checks to you on the turn? How much do you bet or do you check through?
Old 11-18-2004, 01:46 PM

On the first hand of a 10+1 SNG? If he wants to bluff me out of a pot on a TT7K board by calling a gigantic bet, he's earned it (and will give it back to the table in 3 hands anyway).

This would be an easy check behind on the turn and a call of a small bet/fold to a large bet on the river.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:54 PM

im not very familiar with sngs. what do you think of his preflop raise? to little with that position this early?
Old 11-18-2004, 02:14 PM

raise more pf, drive out the kq k10 ax junk that will knock you out here. i take it to 80 or so (used to playing stars, i'd raise 100+ there).

flop - i don't know, you could have let a wide variety of hands in here, especially at the 10$ level. i re-raise, however, i think the bb's raise was to scare you out/gain info

turn - i don't like that card but i raise because i'm thinking you are up against 89s, qjs...gotta drive them out

river - have no clue how tricky this guy is....certainly hasn't been betting like he has anything special, and given you are at the 10$ level, i like the raise.

ultimately - i would have bet this much more aggressively. i'm guessing he rivered a flush or something, which wouldn't have happened had you bet stronger pf-flop . If he had tens pf, that's poker. If he had 10x and hit that flop, it's because you let him (and others) in cheaply - not something i would want with jj. i'm pissed if 10x calls and beats me here because of my wimpy pf raise.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:41 PM

A raise of 3XBB preflop is standard with any hand you want to raise with, especially a vulnerable pair like JJ. Definitely bet more preflop like the others said and you can narrow down the range of hands that your opponent is on. Then, when he bets that miniscule amount on the flop, you can comfortably pop him back with a pot-sized reraise knowing he probably doesn't have 10x. Anytime you're seeing minimum bets on every street, you're usually either being trapped or playing someone who may not have the best understanding of the game. Making a bet of half the pot or more is usually the best way to go unless you have a monster and want to get sneaky, but even then, most experienced players will sniff that out.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:53 PM

I'd probably limp in early with JJ in a $10 Party SNG. You are almost guaranteed to double up when you hit a set... and you will gasp when the villain flips over A9o with a pair of aces.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd probably limp in early with JJ in a $10 Party SNG. You are almost guaranteed to double up when you hit a set... and you will gasp when the villain flips over A9o with a pair of aces.

[/ QUOTE ]

what are you talking about? wouldnt you want someone calling your raise with A9o?