Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Well... that got out of hand

$.5/$1 6 max at Absolute with $200 max buy in.

I have $230, main villain has about the same. Shortstack has about $40. I haven't seen villain get too out of line, but he does let pots grow pretty big, which is why I made my PF call (and I'm obviously not playing for TP value here). Villain seems like he thinks he is better than he is, and also gives me not that much respect (but isn't playing back very agressively).

Villain raises to $3 UTG. Standard table raise is $4, so I figure he's either fishing for calls or has a very mediocre holding (in which case I can steal). I call with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and all but the SB also call.

Flop ($15): 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villain bets $8, I raise to $20, shortstack behind me pushes for about $20 more, villain calls the $32, I call.

Turn ($120): 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villain checks. I.....
Old 06-29-2005, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Well... that got out of hand

bet 60, i dont like:

[ QUOTE ]
I made my PF call (and I'm obviously not playing for TP value here). Villain seems like he thinks he is better than he is, and also gives me not that much respect (but isn't playing back very agressively).

Villain raises to $3 UTG. Standard table raise is $4, so I figure he's either fishing for calls or has a very mediocre holding (in which case I can steal).

[/ QUOTE ]

sure, sounds wonderful, but being able to push your opponent off a weak hand AND being able to extract full value bs a stronger hand are obviously opposites. It's an either/or.

also, I dont like the semibluff on this board w/ a short stack to act, i think just calling this bet is much better.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I made my PF call (and I'm obviously not playing for TP value here). Villain seems like he thinks he is better than he is, and also gives me not that much respect (but isn't playing back very agressively).

Villain raises to $3 UTG. Standard table raise is $4, so I figure he's either fishing for calls or has a very mediocre holding (in which case I can steal).

[/ QUOTE ]

sure, sounds wonderful, but being able to push your opponent off a weak hand AND being able to extract full value bs a stronger hand are obviously opposites. It's an either/or.

also, I dont like the semibluff on this board w/ a short stack to act, i think just calling this bet is much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain tends to telegraph his hands postflop, so I don't think being able to steal and getting paid off are opposites. If I bet and he calls/raises, then I shutdown without a monster. I think it's actually a good situation, because I know this guy isn't going to play back against me without being able to beat TP.

And does the shortstack always have something here? I'm pretty sure I'm a pretty big favorite against short stacks range here, if we are actually afraid he is going to push here a reasonable amount of the time. I think he folds here at least 90% of the time.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:10 PM

What's your plan if you bet 60-90 and get check-raised? Ok so you answered my question... So what is Villain's likely holding here?
Old 06-29-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's your plan if you bet 60-90 and get check-raised?

[/ QUOTE ]

Die a little on the inside?
Old 06-29-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Die a little on the inside?

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually laughed out loud at that, people in my office are looking at me now.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:57 PM

Default RESULTS

The thinking appears to be what I suspect. Bet $60, fold to raise. Sounds good.

I bet $60 on turn, villain calls.

River (~$240): 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villain checks. I die a lot on the inside. I check. My JQ holds up against his KK and shortstack who has no spade.