Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2005, 03:13 AM

Default Did I play this correctly?

This hand took place at a fairly passive .50/1 table. Button was pretty much a maniac. UTG+1 was completely clueless. I don't know what MP was thinking. Anyone play this differently?

Party Poker (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG Calls, UTG+1 Calls, UTG+2 Folds, MP Calls, <font color="red">Hero</font> raises, MP+2 Folds, CO Folds, Button Calls, SB 3bets,
BB Folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 Calls, MP Calls, <font color="red">Hero</font> Calls, Button Caps, everyone calls.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP Bets, <font color="red">Hero</font> Calls, Button raises, SB calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 Calls, MP Calls, <font color="red">Hero</font> Calls.

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 Bets, MP calls, <font color="red">Hero</font> calls, Button raises, SB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP calls, <font color="red">Hero</font> calls.

River: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP checks, <font color="red">Hero</font> checks, SB bets, SB folds, UTG+1 calls, MP raises, <font color="red">Hero</font> folds, SB 3bets,
UTG+1 calls, MP calls (all-in).

Final Pot: (34.87BB)

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG+1 has 9h 7h 5h 5s (High: Straight, 3,4,5,6,7).
MP has 10h 6h 6d 4s (High: Full House, 6,6,6,9,9).
Button has Ah 9s 5d 2s(High: Trip 9s. Lo: A,2,3,4,6).

</font>
Old 05-14-2005, 08:39 AM

Default Re: Did I play this correctly?

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone play this differently?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tex - Mainly I would fold after the flop.

You have a nice starting hand, but then you don't have a good enough fit with the flop to continue.

Just my opinion.

Buzz
Old 05-14-2005, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have a nice starting hand, but then you don't have a good enough fit with the flop to continue.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is it even worth raising preflop? At .5/1 you'll always be in a multiway hand. Since high hands go down in value in a multiway pot I would prefer to just limp and play from there. Now if I had a chance of getting it HU thats another story...
Old 05-14-2005, 02:35 PM

Do backdoor flush possibilities not carry the value in O/8 that they do in hold'em? I called on the flop because I had 2 backdoor nut flush draws. On the turn, I had 7 outs to the nuts that didn't pair the board, and I believe with all the action that I had more than enough pot odds to call there. Also, if AA106 ds is not worthy of a raise at .50/1, which hands (if any) would be? Is .50/1 a no-raise, no-fold game?

Thanks for the comments.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:09 PM

Don't raise it preflop and fold on the flop. Although the flop brings quite a few backdoor high draws for you and the pot is quite large, even if you do hit your backdoor, you almost certainly will not not scoop. Basically, any board pair or low card on the turn kills your hand, and even if you do hit a diamond/club that isn't low on the turn, you have to remember that you're still drawing on the river.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:23 PM

Well, I don't think there's any all-high hands worth a raise if it can't get it HU or close to it (i.e. with aces). That's just my opinion though, I'm not really sure on the whole raising with high hands business

As for raising in LAP tables... I generally raise with any suited A2 , any A23, and stuff like A34x suited (assuming my raise won't narrow the field too much). When I can narrow the field, I'll raise with AA4x or better.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone play this differently?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pre-flop:
I don't this that raising pre-flop is a horrible options I just calling is better. In a passive .5/1 game I think that you have a drawing hand so why raise and push out potential customers.

Flop:
I don’t dislike your call as much as everyone else does but I would still probably fold. I think that you are close getting odds to call 1 bet but the problem is the person who capped pre-flop and the person you described as a manic is yet to act.

A backdoor flush draw will only hit 4.5% of the time so you are only getting 9% of the high part of this pot with just the backdoor draws. The low will come almost 3/4 of the time so your backdoor draws are only getting around 5.5% equity in the total pot. Your backdoor draws will not always win the pot (they could pair the board) so the number is a little bit too large this but I think this is somewhat offset by you 2 “A” outs, your 3 “6” outs.

You are also going to loose a little equity because most likely you are going to have to call a bet on the turn regardless. This means you will lose 1 extra BB when you complete the draw on the turn and miss the river. You will pick up a flush draw on the turn about 45% of the time and you will miss the river 80% of the time, so about 1/3 you are going to lose another BB. However this is slightly offset by the extra bets the pot will pick up on the turn / river.

I am going to stop my rambling now by saying that calling 1 bet on the flop is marginal so I would worry about the flop bettor and the button going to war and fold.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:41 PM

This hand is from an Omaha eight-or-better table, right? The results seem to indicate that only the high hand won the pot.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:21 AM

Yes, this is an O/8 hand. The hand converter doesn't work well with O/8 hands, and I typed in the action manually. The pot was split between high and low.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:22 AM

You had a marginal starting hand as your hand is one way with an emergency low. You have a double nut flush draw which is great. To start with you need to raise to narrow the field. aA plays best short handed.
After the flop with two low cards on the flop the low will be made 70% of the time. Your high hand potion is now weak as you could be up against a wheel draw. Also you did not flop a draw to a flush or straight. you will be tempted to push the hand too far.
I would fold after the flop unless it was heads up.