Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2005, 06:30 AM

Default Call all-in with 66?

PP $22, Blinds 50/100, 5 handed.

Button: 1973
Hero: 1405
BB: 1041
UTG: 626
CO: 2955

Hero has 66.

UTG pushes, folds around to hero.

He had just lost a big pot. Given his stack size, he will push UTG with a huge range of hands. But his huge range of hands is still usually two overcards.

Who folds, and who pushes over the top?

edit: fixed stack sizes
Old 06-15-2005, 06:40 AM

Default Re: Call all-in with 66?

You dominate 22-55, A5-, K5-, Q5-

I probably fold.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:04 AM

I would fold this, however i would probably call with 88 and i would call with 66 if the blinds were one level higher.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:05 AM

I probably fold. You stay 3rd and he stays 5th taking the money from 4th place if BB doesn't call. If BB calls and wins it is one elimination and you are the short stack, but not very short.

If you push and loose you are last place with 5 to go.

If you push and win you just 2nd.

The possible loss outweighs the possible gains in this situation.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:07 AM

This is a situation ive been struggling with as well. IN this case, theres 2 semi-dominant stacks, neither of which are locks for the money but definately way ahead, and 2 middle stacks, + 1 semi-short. Two of you have to go.

I call.

After thinking about it, you have 100 of the 600 in already, and losing puts you at 775 with the other 2 shorter stacks at 1250 and 1041, and you are the furthest from the BB with good position coming up. Youll be slightly ahead in a race i say MOST of the time, a 1/5 occassionally against a higher PP, and a 4/5 against a lower PP rarely, (also possible he has Ax with x <6). However, this isnt a cash game so its not all pot odds.

Since its hard to know where youre at, but reasonable to think youre going to win whether ahead or behind about half the time, we have to look at the outcomes.
A.) You lose and have to steal about 2.5 BBs to be right back in it as a contender with 1G+. There are 3 semi-even stacks.
B.) You win and are sitting on about 2G, leaving you in 2nd and furthest from the blinds. Now 1G stack is considerably short

Given the HUGE advantage in winning and the relatively minor disadvantage in losing, i say its a must call. You put yourself in excellent position to make money, but more importantly, you give yourself a stack to contend for first with rather than fighting it out for third. If you lose, you still havr to fight for third, its just a little harder.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If you push and loose you are last place with 5 to go.

If you push and win you just 2nd.

The possible loss outweighs the possible gains in this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, especially with saying "you just 2nd."
A big stack on the bubble is HUGE because no one wants to leave and they are therefore more willing to give up blinds. Also, the shorties are more willing to go at it if eveyrone else is way ahead, meaning the "just 2nd" position is as advantageous for tight players as for weak.

Also, he is last place but no where near short if he loses. If he steals on the button next hand hes at 900 and the 1045 stack will also be down to 945 cause of blinds. I say the reward is VERY worth the risk.

For full reasoning, see my previous post on this thread.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:36 AM

I usually call in that spot. But as I read more here on this board, I realize that many people would fold, so I'm not sure what the consensus view of the correct play is here. Would like to see what others say.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:39 AM

I will think about what you said. You seem to have some points.

With "just" 2nd I meant Just a tad more than 3rd.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:41 AM

Yeah, I wasn't exactly sure what to do either.

I just need curtains to come in and say, "You bonehead, it's obvious you need to ____"
Old 06-15-2005, 07:51 AM

Look at a clock. If the minutes are an odd number, call. If they are an even number, fold.

What i mean is that this decision is probably close enough that there isnt significant +/- $ in either line. Dont beat yourself up over it. Let the clock decide for you.